When the party's over

Steve parked his car in front of my trailer, as soon he opens the door of the passenger side for me to get out my mom opened the door of the trailer. The look on her face, it was as if she was choking me with her hands in her mind but as soon her eyes rested on me Steve grabs my hand. I look at what he just did, then I look at my mom. As she watches our tangled hands, her whole posture, and expression change.

¨Ms. O'Connell, I hope I didn't cause you any problem by taking Hanna to a party.¨ Steve starts explaining as he walks us toward my mother. ¨I know you told me she was grounded but I know how worried you are that she hasn't made any friends, so that's why I took her to the party.¨ I owe him one.

My mom looks at him then at me, she is trying to make sure he is not lying.

¨Sorry, mom.¨

¨Don't worry sweetheart,¨ she says turning to look at Steve. ¨Just please next time consult it with me okay?¨

¨Yes ma'am.¨ Steve agreed.

My mom nods and then she puts a face, ¨So I see you have gotten closer.¨ She points without no filter at our hands.

¨Oh shut, Steve, you have to leave. You work a double shift tomorrow, RIGHT?¨ I'm practically looking at him, saying 'leave now before she starts'.

¨Um- yeah, shut. I'm sorry that I can't stay longer, Hanna is right, tomorrow I have a double shift.¨ I let go of his hand.

¨Oh, it's okay we can have a chat another time, don't worry. We had enough visitors for today anyway.¨ I look at my mom confused.

A visitor?

¨Then, I should leave now so you can stay with your visitor.¨ Steve shakes my mom's hand then turns to look at me, and he froze for a moment before taking a step forward and giving a kiss on my cheek as a goodbye. ¨Have a good night.¨ Those were Steve's last words before leaving.

As soon it was just my mom and me, I look at her. ¨Visitor?¨ She looks at me, and her face drops.

¨Lets get inside.¨ She says, not answering my question, turning around and opening the door of the trailer. I follow her to ask her who was it, unfortunately, my eyes gave me the answer first as I look inside the house.

He was sitting on our couch, with my sister in his lap, as he held a book in his hands. My mom closed the door to make him notice our presence, my presence.

He smiles, while I felt my insides turning. ¨Hanna, princess,¨ The nickname I loved coming from someone else's mouth was ruined at the moment he called me like that again. Jared stands up from his seat, walking toward me. I wanted to get as far away from him as I could, but I froze. He opens his arms as he gets close to me, once he reaches me he takes me into a hug. I don't hug him back. ¨Hug me.¨ He demands, whispering in my ear. I hug him, barely touching him. ¨You have changed, ¨ He says, breaking the hug. ¨You look beautiful, you finally dress up like a woman, well you failed in the colors, but you are getting better.¨ I bit my tongue before something comes out of me.

¨It's good to see you too...dad.¨ No matter if I try to make a smile out of myself, it doesn't seem to work. ¨How's been work? Does your lovely partner Mary is still working with you?¨ My tone was friendly, but my eyes were dry at any expression.

¨No, sadly, she got transferred.¨

¨Yeah, sadly.¨ I turn to look at my mom, not really caring what he has to say. ¨I'm tired, can I go to sleep now?¨ My mom was looking at my father and me, but as I ask she looks at the ground. She looks intimidated. ¨Can I?¨ I know ask him.