Crazy Train

Hanna O'Connell

Running from the police in the middle of the woods on the outside of Hawkins wasn't on my plans of skipping school on a Thursday. I can't seem to catch my breath even now that I've been walking around trying to get some signal for the radio. Eddie is so dead after this.

I hope he's okay, tho. Idiot.

¨Dustin?¨ I call the boy's name that Eddie told me to one more time. And again I got nothing.

Agh! I throw the radio to one bush in stress.

Oh my god, if I was tired before now I'm exhausted. I walk towards a three to sit down. I let my head fall on the hardwood of the three, closing my eyes.

Radio interference.

As my mind catches up I was flying on my feet to the bush I throw the radio.

The voice of a boy talking on the radio was barely understandable by the interference on the line.

¨Dustin?¨ I try one more time hoping it works.

Interference again. Pleaseeee, please, work.

¨Ye-s th-is is Du-stin.¨ The interference was there, but  I could understand now what he was saying.

I almost scream in relief and happiness.

¨Hi-um Dustin, I'm Eddie's friend, Hanna.¨ are we even friends? Okay, no he time to think about that, Hanna. ¨He told me to ask for you, we are kind of a situation and we need your help. Well me, I need your help.¨

¨What kind of situation...¨

¨Well you see...¨ I clear my throat. ¨Long short story, we were being chased by the police, then Eddie told me he will distract them so he gave me the radio to call you, and I dont know if he got away or if he was captured because he told me to keep running. I'm in the middle of the woods without a map, barely feeling my legs, I have don't have enough air in my longs and I feel as I was about to puck my heart out. So help me, please.¨

¨You idiots. Okay, okay, do you at least know in what part of Hawkins are you?¨

¨Yes we are on the outside, I am supposed to go to the gas station where he parked the minivan. He told me we would meet in there.¨ And if we didn't, I was supposed to leave. He didn't say it but it was pretty clear in his eyes.

¨What gas station?¨

¨I can't remember the name but it was the last one we saw from there to where we were supposed to be and we walk for almost 30 minutes until we were in the place.

¨Okay that helps, just don't move, I will check the map.¨

Puff, he tells me not to move as if I know where I am. So now we wait. I wish I was laying right now on my bed with my Walkman listening to some mixtapes as I fall asleep.

I walk in circles as I don't know how to keep myself steel. Looking from the direction I came in not long ago, I see some silhouettes far from where I am, but still I can see whatever it is and I'm sure I'm visible as them.

Cops.

Give up already, ahhh!

I turn around to start jogging as silent as I can, turning my head back and ford to check if they are chasing me.

¨Theres the girl!¨

¨Fucking...¨ I start running. Again.

¨Dustin! Dustin! Dustin!¨ I call for him on the radio, not too loud so the cops don't hear it.