Everything is Falling

Hanna O'Connell

I open my eyes but a bright light makes me close them again.

What the hell?

I try to open my eyes again, squinting them until they adjust to the bright light on the ceiling. God my head is pounding, I try to touch it but as soon as my fingers make contact with my forehead I remove them.

Ouch!

I look down at my body, I'm not wearing the clothes I had on today. I'm wearing a hospital gown and laying on a hospital bed. Panic starts running over my body, I try to sit down but a nurse I didn't know was in the room doesn't let me.

"Please don't move Miss." She tells me and my mother appears behind the nurse with her hands over her chest.

"Mom what happened?" My throat is more sore than I remembered. My mom doesn't reply, instead she shakes her head as a sob comes out of her mouth while tears start falling down her cheeks.

I was in shock by her reaction.

"Can someone please tell me what happened?!" I ask the nurse that is checking the machine beside my bed.

"You had a concussion and an overdose Miss." My heart sank at her words more for the fact of the overdose. "I'll leave the three of you so you can catch up. If you need anything, press the red button on the wall."

Three? Who is the other person in the room?

Steve? Maybe...Eddie?

Ruby? No she can't see me like this.

"How can you do this to us?" He makes his presence in the room.

So, he is back from Ohio.

"You are so fucking selfish, you know that?!" My father stands close to my bed looking me dead in the eye.

"Jared please don't scream at her." My mother defends but not for me instead because she doesn't want the rest of the hospital to hear my father yelling. He turned to look at her with more anger since she was telling what to do, and it's pretty clear by now how my father thinks of what a woman should act like.

My mother looks at her feet, giving in.

I'm done with this.

"Who the fuck do you think you are!" My question was more threatening than an actual question.

My mother looked at me as if I was crazy while his jaw clenched so hard I swear I heard some teeth crack.

"Pardon me? I'm your father you slut, don't use that tone on me." He says leaning on my bed to intimidate me but I don't back down.

I start laughing.

Loud.

"Are you for real calling me a slut?" I sigh shaking my head. "If I remember well I wasn't the one cheating on my wife with my co-worker." Saying that out loud I thought it would take a load off my back, but it just made me feel worse than keep in it inside.

He was fuming by now. Jared grabbed the collar of my hospital gown pulling me over him so with his other hand he grabbed me by the neck.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" I screamed as loud as my sore throat let me.

The door of the room was abruptly opened by Steve and the nurse that was in the room when I woke up. My dad is not stupid so he let go of me stumbling out of the room. I fell into the bed again and the nurse came to check me while Steve ran after my dad.

The nurse was telling me something but I couldn't hear. I could only hear my mother's heart shattering.
She was on the floor  attached to the wall. I never saw my mother cry. Not once. Even though I have heard her.