XLVI) Marion: It Looks to Me

Honestly I slept so well last night. This morning I woke up to the smell of fresh breakfast. It took me about ten minutes to finally get up. I opened up my suitcase and pulled out some navy blue sweatpants, a pair of dress shoes, and a tight black shirt. I walked in the bathroom realizing I was wearing Nick's shirt. My heart still aches about him. I swapped clothes and put on what I brought. I took Nick's shirt and folded it up perfectly. My intention was to ask her if I could take it home with me.

The sweatpants were tighter, but they still fit perfectly. My black ankle socks blended in the jet black dress shoes I was wearing. My top was a jet black, super tight, v-neck shirt. I like how it makes me look. I've always been so self conscious about myself, but this outfit makes me feel great. The shirt dipped down far, but not too far. I combed my hair halfway up into a bun. After I was finished I walked back into the room and set the shirt on the bed.

My eyes naturally wandered their way over to the corner where the nightstand sat. My body stood up and opened the drawers again. It took me a second to remember why my hand smelled so good, I sprayed the cologne on my hand. When I went through the bottom drawer again I found a Swiss card knife, a few chocolates, and a small rücksack. I finished looking at the items and put them back, but I realized that in the top drawer there was a photo book. I stuffed that under the bed so I could look at it after breakfast.

I finally went downstairs when I heard my name be called. "Marion honey, I have breakfast ready." The sweet voice echoed through the house. I walked down the stairs and her jaw dropped. To my dismay I attempted to figure out why, but she told me why. "Marion, listen to me for one moment. I can see why Nick liked you -loved you. You're so cute and beautiful. Marion, I have never seen anything like you." She said as her curly hair pulled back and forth in the breeze coming from the opened window. "Oh right, thank you Mrs. Schneider. I have a question..." I said quietly. "Ask away." She replied. "Are you upset that I'm American? Are you upset with the fact that I'm not German because of what happened to Nick?" I thought I'd ask because I felt bad.

She placed the food on the set table for four. I made the automatic assumption that she believed that the spirits of her son and husband would sit here too. "No, Marion, I'm not mad at all. We're only part German. We're also French . Just please Marion, don't worry about it. He loved you -he was deeply in love with you." She smiled. Mrs. Schneider got me some freshly baked muffins out of the pan along with some fruit. "Vielen dank." I said, trying to speak her mother tongue. "Bitte." She replied.

After eating breakfast I helped her clean up and do the dishes. I was surprised when I turned around and saw her throw me some keys. "Here Marion, these are for Nick's car. You're more than welcome to drive it around. It's just been sitting there for a while. I won't drive it because I have my own car and have no desire to drive it." Her smile reminded me of Nick's smile, so warm and welcoming. My eyes looked over the key as my finger pressed the button that made the key pop out. It was the keys to an Audi, more specifically a new Audi. "Oh well thank you. I think I'll just walk down to the hangar today. I just want to go there and see if I can catch some of his stuff." I placed the key in my pants pocket. "Well you just keep that key for now and if you decide to drive then you're more than welcome to." Her voice is so sweet, almost reminding me of my great grandma. My gosh how I miss all these people, especially Nick. "Danke dir." I replied.

My hand picked up my phone off the table and placed it in my pocket. I turned around and put on my light black jacket. I pulled my shirt down further so it would cover the waistband of my pants. The door knob creaked as I opened it slowly. Before Mrs. Schneider knew it I was long gone out the door. The slight breeze missed my cheeks. Within the first fourth of a mile there was a young German guy that smiled at me. He stopped me in my tracks. „Was machst du jetzt Fräulein?" His voice was sweet too, almost echoing through my ear. "Nicht. Entschuldigung wo ist die Flughafen Essen?" I asked him as he walked closer. "Richtig und Osten. Viele Glück! Du bist suß." my mind had to recollect for a moment because he called me cute. "Danke dir. Du bist schön, aber ich habe einen Freund." I tried to convey in his native tongue as much as possible. It appeared that he didn't know English. "...und was ist das? Ooh du bist Marion! Oh Nein es tut mir leid. Du liebst Nicholas." He recognized me because of the paper that circulated through. "Ja, ja." he pulled me into a tight hug, then shortly after, I left.

The breeze made my cheeks go rosy, but it was still warm enough to not need to zip up my light black jacket. When I turned the last corner I finally came across the airport. I have to admit that Essen airport is one of the nicest airports I've ever been to. I walked into the flight school's lobby and waited until a blonde haired blue-eyed girl walked to the desk. "Was machst du jetzt?" she asked. "Kannst du sprechen Englisch?" I asked kindly. The blonde girl whipped her hair behind her shoulders. "Yeah, what do you want?" Her tone became slightly aggressive. "I would like to see if I can go back to the hangars." The look on her face was priceless. "Oh you're the low life pilot that was dating Nicholas. You know, I tried so hard to date him, but he wouldn't let me. He was cutet. Get over it girl because he's dead now. Yes, I'll only let you back there once and that's it." Her tone of voice was just so aggressive. "Okay thank you." I walked out the doors and onto the apron.

My eye automatically caught hold of the Cirrus marked with the letters DELOP. That was the little plane that Nick soloed in. I found the hangar on the end and opened the man door. I found a shelf in the corner with a box labeled Nicholas. My hands took the box out. I made my way to the concrete floor to sit down. He had so much stuff in a small box. I dug to the bottom and found a small box which was wrapped in foil. It had my name on it, so I unwrapped it. I opened the box and there was a necklace with an airplane charm on it. I put the necklace on and it looked perfect with my outfit.

The wind slammed against the hangar wall, which startled me a little. Tears just naturally flowed down my face and I began to cry heavily. "Nicky please. If they didn't find your body then where are you? Burnt." I whispered.  I accidentally got cut with a piece of metal. I clenched my arm as the blood seeped out of my forearm. The complete accident caused a deep and almost unbearable hotness in my arm. It just hurt so bad to lose him. I had fallen for him and now he's taken away from me. I screamed a soft scream into his jacket. It smelled like the German cologne I pulled from his drawer.

My arm cinched in pain. How can something cause so much pain? My knees touched the cold concrete while my tears traveled down my neck and down my shirt. I looked at the jacket before covering my face with it again. I lost the only person I've ever loved. Every time I look in the mirror I see him looking back at me, but then soon discover that he is dead now. It's horrible and my heart just breaks into millions of pieces. I was crying because my arm and my mind was in excruciating pain. "Nick? Where are you my love?" I whispered into his jacket. I banged my fist against the cold concrete floor. "Schade! V..." I held in my frustration the best I could. To no effective degree was it working.

I heard the hangar door open slightly, it creaked posing for a horror movie type of ambiance. The wind immediately swept through the giant building. As I moved my hand over my middle finger, it hit the metal shelf. I cried silently in pain. I stood up to see a shadow of a man standing in the man door entrance. "Hey..." he said. The voice was all too familiar -it was the perfect pitch that felt good to my ears. His voice sounded so angelic, almost like a choir of angels singing all at the same time. His voice was pure music to my ears.. "What are you doing here?" I asked as I fell back down to my knees, crying. I could not help, but just sob into the jacket sleeve. "Hey, Marion Wright -the Angel of the Skies." He said while I looked up and caught a glimpse of his ethereal face. "Nicholas! What the heck?" I jumped up while he knelt down beside me. "True love always comes back. Marion, you are the love of my life and I swore I would never leave you." Nick's soft lips kissed against mine, which gave me butterflies in the pit of my stomach. "Oh baby, welcome home." He picked me up and placed me on his lap and in his arms. The tears were soaking my black v-neck shirt. I felt them travel down my neck and soak my shirt. They were pouring faster than Niagra Falls. "It is because of you this world was saved, this country was saved." He cried with me. "How, how did you survive my love? You have a headstone, a grave, and everything." I asked in return as I kissed his cheek. His voice echoed in my ear, "Nothing is impossible. I was shot down and I plummeted ony to hit water, crawl away and leave. I ran and ran for days." He held me tightly against his chest, "I knew you would be here and you have somewhere you need to be this weekend."

The brown in his eyes pierced my soul, which then I fell into his arms realizing how much I did not ever want to let go. "You are my always and forever, my pilot, and all. Marion, you did it, and you did a perfect job." He kissed me once he realized that I couldn't say anything, I was speechless. My heart pounded in my chest just like that fateful day when I died in the hospital. The gut feeling hurt and ached almost to the point of death yet again. Maybe this is the end, my happy ending, or even our happy ending. Nick is deserving of it all and more. "I love you!" My broken voice yelled at him while tackling him with hugs. Maybe just so... this was it.