XI) Marion- Cold Truth

As soon as my head hit the pillow my mind was thinking, and I could not switch it off. I remembered that I needed to change the bandage on my stomach. I got back up and turned the light on. It barely flickered on and off. I lifted my shirt up so I could peel the bandage away. As I did so I listened to the silence of the room. The previous men who were staying here left a few notes around the place. When I peeled the bandage off I saw red and inflamed skin. It looked horrid. I took the salve and rubbed it on gently. It stung a little for a second until it went numb. The blood had seeped through the bandage. I placed the new bandage on and it felt so good. After doing so I read a few of the notes that were left. Nothing too interesting, but as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.

I was woken up by the sound of a rapid succession of knocking on my door. When I opened the door it was Nick. "Hey... love how are you?" When he said that I couldn't believe that he just called me love. It took a second before I remembered that they do that in Europe. I looked down at the ground. "I'm alright." The truth was that I could barely stand because the pain was just bad. "I have another shot for you." He said. I quickly told him that I needed to do my hair first.

I decided to pull it half up in a bun while letting the rest flow down onto my shoulders. I gathered all of my stuff up and left the room. Nick waited out in the hallway. When I shut the door he stood just a couple inches from my face. "Oh gosh, sorry... I shouldn't have..." he said as we nearly bumped into each-other. I smiled and we walked back to the aircraft hangar. He took a shot out of his flight bag. I was getting used to this. The roller coaster of pain was becoming more common. I laid down on the bench as he knelt down beside me. His eyes met mine, and I instantly was taken aback to the first moment when I met him. "What?" He asked while taking the cap off the needle. I saw the needle and sunk further away from him. "Nick... I-I... Do we have to leave today?" He responded with a yes. I was ready to leave, but I didn't want to leave him. He was getting ready to give me the shot. "Wait!" I said so loudly that a person from a mile away would most likely hear. "Can you promise me something?" He responded with a yes. "Please don't leave me. I need you... gosh, I'm sorry." I looked away in shame. "It's alright Marion. I'm not going to leave you." He asked if I was ready for the shot and I gave a shy nod. This time I just stared into his brown eyes. I could just get so lost in them.

I stood up at the same time he did. Nick threw the empty syringe in the corner of the hangar. "You were saying..." he began to speak. I leaned up against the side of the P-51 Mustang. He walked closer and closer. I closed my eyes for a second to recollect my thoughts. What was this good looking German Luftwaffe pilot doing? What was I doing? My back pressed the plane's fuselage. I felt him wrap his arms around me and give me a hug. Still hugging, we stared at each other for a moment. "Marion..." he whispered as his face neared mine. "Nick..." His lips were so close to mine. "Marion..." Whatever he was trying to say he couldn't. "Yes, Nick. Please..." I leaned into the fuselage even further because I felt like passing out. I took a deep breath waiting for what he wanted to do. "It's going to be alright." His hand found its way up to my face. He brushed my hair back ever so gently. Nick held me close and gently. The hand that touched my face made it behind my shoulders. "Hm?" I mumbled as we stared into each other's eyes. My hands found his lower back, which then he copied with me. For once I felt safe -safe in his arms and his eyes. I just relaxed as he held me there for a second before closing his eyes and leaning into me. He ever so slightly pulled me closer. I closed my eyes too. My left hand smoothed through his perfect hair. It reminded me of the smoothness of butter. I heard him sigh as he held me even closer, as close as we could get. Our lips were just barely brushing when planes flew low to the ground overhead.

"Ah no!" Nick yelled. "We have to go now!" I got in my plane and he got in his Luftwaffe plane. He took off first and then I followed. I did not talk over frequency at all, so I would remain in hiding. The only person I could talk to was Nick. Planes were flinging all through the air. I had to use the guns to shoot down targets. It was a gruesome sight, but I have to survive. Nick was just about 50 yards away from me. I pushed the plane to the limits, in fact almost enough that it was bad. My left hand controlled the stick. My plane did several flips before I realized that some of the instruments were not working. As long as my plane was still flying I was alright.