XXI) Marion- Bellisimo

"Hi." I heard a voice say as I sat at the desk waiting to teach the final portion of this class. This morning was a dark and dreary one. I felt deep down inside that there was something clearly wrong. "Hello." I turned my head and realized it was Lieutenant Dixon. "Good morning Dixon. How are you this morning?" I asked as he sat down. After about twenty seconds of shuffling around he got up and walked towards me. "I know you like someone else, but would you mind going to dinner with me tonight?" He smiled as his hands tried to grab mine, but I resisted and placed mine in the pockets of my coat. "No. I'm so sorry. I have obligations with Lieutenant Schneider. I'm so sorry." I smiled at the thought of Nick's last name. "Well, I understand. I'm going to go to the restroom really quickly. Will you watch my stuff?" He asked kindly and I shook my head. Nick didn't show up to eat breakfast with me this morning like I had asked him. Today is our last day together and it just hurts that he would do this. I truly did feel a deep sense of betrayal when he did not show up. The door slammed open against the wall with a lot of force. "Marion." I heard a voice call. "Nick?" I questioned deeply, but soon regret my question when time passed along further. The door slammed shut. "What the... gosh darn heck are you doing here? I'm going to murder..." the man said as he turned the corner into the classroom. "Lieutenant Anderson. Oh my goodness, what are you doing here?" I stood up in the middle of the room. "I'm rather forced to be here by the commanders. I didn't show up yesterday and they thought I went AWOL. I explained that I didn't understand why. Here I am today." His threatening behavior made me sick to my stomach. "Right, welcome to class." I said trying to keep my perfect composure.

He stepped closer... and closer... until I heard the door click open. He backed away and in walked Lieutenant Dixon. I felt so much better. "Lieutenant Wright, are you okay?" Dixon whispered in my ear. "Yes he didn't do anything, but please stay in here until Nick comes." I finally heard the door click open again and six other men walked in. Three were German and the rest were French. After that more Spanish soldiers showed up. Nick finally walked in the door and traveled over to me. "Nick, where have you been?" I asked quietly. His arms wrapped around my back and I did the same to him. He gave me a few quick free breath mints in my pocket, then took a seat in the front row right in front of my desk. All of the guys just stared at me. I caught a few laughing and throwing weird gestures at me. Every time I would look up from my doodling paper I saw Nick smiling at me along with both Lieutenant Dixon and Lieutenant Anderson giving me death stares.

I got a running tally of who was present. Finally everyone was there and I was silently rejoicing to get this shindig done and over with. "Good morning everyone. Today is the last fateful day before we are all in with the war. We have to give it our best shot." I literally felt as If I was making things up just to kill time. "Look guys, I have nothing. I don't have anything to tell you today. Everything is just so bad I haven't even thought about..." Nick raised his hand and I pointed to him. "Tonight there is a farewell deployment party in hangar 12. Anyone is welcome. Formal dress." He looked up at me and I smiled. "Thanks Nick for the information. I guess I can briefly touch on something, but overall I have nothing. There is another form that you all need to fill out." I passed out each form and when I got to Nick he asked me if I wanted to go out in the hall with him. I said yes and we walked out to the hall. "Marion, are you okay?" He tried to kiss me but I dodged the bullet. "No, where were you this morning? This is our last day together probably for ever." I held the dam of tears in. He knew I was mad at him just based on the tone of my voice. "Marion, I have a surprise for you tonight and I was busy getting that ready for you. Do you want to come with me to the party?" He whispered in my ear. I almost instantly forgave him and fell back in love with him. "Alright... I don't have anything formal to wear. You can wear your uniform, but I got nothing." I tried to keep myself calm. "It's alright." We walked back in the classroom and I finished handing out the form to Nick. "Alright same concept as yesterday: once done raise your hand and I will come over to you." I sat there and doodled planes on my paper.