XVII) Marion- Lieutenant

Just as I barely backed away I heard a sharp voice call my name. It was gut wrenching, as it made me pure ill. The voice was firm and arrogant. When I turned my head around -still half hugging Nick- I realized who it was. "Lieutenant Anderson...I-I." My voice stuttered really bad. My arms let go of Nick and he stood behind me, but still close. "Let me guess, you thought I was dead!" His voice said sharply, almost in a threatening manner. The way he stood tall reminded me of the fight I witnessed back home. Two men were punching it out over a small mistake the other one had made. It ended in a bloody scene.

My head hurt and the stress came. My heart pounded and pounded. I didn't do anything wrong, but in his eyes I did and he was mad. "Listen Anderson, everyone thought I was dead too. It wasn't just you." He did not take my response lightly. His deep eyes flared into my soul like a fire. "You clearly moved on fast!" I felt threatened by him. "My crush, the only person I've ever liked kissing another guy. Yeah that hurts like..." his facial emotions tightened up. I interrupted him, "Wait, nothing happened with us. I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry Jack. I can't date you because... we shouldn't even focus on this. We're at war." I felt Nicholas' hands on my shoulders.

The sky began to thunder and crack. "This is not what I wanted to see. What's his name? Oh my gosh he's German. He's not even American. You can't do that! You're such a demonic idiot Marion. How could you do such a shameful thing? I cannot even believe you, but on the other hand I can because you are such a disappointment." He walked closer to Nick. "You know, I loved you? When you worked at the base in New Haven I had a crush for a while. I hope you still feel the same about me." He threw sly gestures to Nick and derogatory actions.

I looked at the ground and thought for a second. "No! You will not do anything to him or I. I know you loved me, but I'm sorry that I don't feel the same. This is hard and we're in a war, so can we just drop this?" I felt Nick's hands travel down to my waist. He tapped my back with his thumb in an attempt to get my attention. Lieutenant Anderson continued, "you still got that necklace I see? You're so stupid -kissing a German. What a shame." He turned around and walked away right then. When he got about ten feet away he turned and moved his aviators down his nose so he appeared more mean. In my opinion he just looked like an old librarian. "Marion, you have time to fix this. You're such a shame. What a loser. Females do not even belong in the sky, so get lost."

As soon as he disappeared I could tell that Nick was mad. He was furious at me. "Nick!" I scoffed at him as he walked away from me towards the hangar. "Nicholas, please." He wouldn't stop. The hangar door was open and I saw him kick the cabinet. My body slid down below until my bottom hit the concrete below. My back leaned against the wheel of the plane. "No!" I mumbled under my breath. The wind was cold, but just warm enough I only had to wear my long sleeve uniform shirt. My heartbeat so fast in my chest. It took me a second to calm down. Tears steadily poured down my face before I came to the realization that I needed to talk to him. My body had no strength, but I stood up and started over to the hangar.

My left arm hung by my side as my right arm grasped my dangling left arm. My eyes wandered the ground until I came to the inside of the hangar. Nick stood with his arms out and pressed against the plane's fuselage. There was quite a gap between his body and the plane. He just leaned against it that way with his head down. "Nick?" I shyly approached him. I heard him scoff at my words. "Please... listen."

He lifted his head only a little, but he still looked down at the ground. "How? There's another guy? I know we're... yes we're friends. Marion, look, what a shame." My heart was pierced with his words. I bit my bottom lip, "Nicholas Schneider, please listen to me! Lieutenant Anderson is some officer from America. That is who that was. He liked me, but I never felt the same. I swear on my life Nick. I hate him." I had a sense of shame and pity within my soul. He still remained tense, "Marion, wake up! I'm so mad! He could hurt you. Marion, what have you done? He is going to hurt you!" He shook his head in complete anger.

I decided to intervene because he was going to hit the plane. I walked closer and closer, praying he would realize me before he took a swing. "Nick, you wouldn't hit me? Would you?" Right then I slipped his arm off the plane and put it around my back. "Am I really going to have to prove this to you? You're the only... only one Nick. These are hard times and please don't worry because I want to live before I die. I've never felt this way! I've never understood why. Does it hurt? Yes. Does it pain me deeply? Yes. Do I love you? Yes! Do I see the light, your light? Yes! Nick, you're the best person I've ever met. Please don't hit anything -or me. I finally see why -why I've had that feeling my whole life. The feeling that someone is waiting on the other side of the earth for me. I understand I'm not just meant to die. If I want to die somewhere it better be in your arms. Nicholas, I love you. The fog has been lifted from my vision." I finally felt both his arms wrap me in a tight embrace. I took a breath as his body began to relax against mine. "See? That guy is a jerk. Don't believe anything he says. Do I need to prove this further?" I asked quietly. His grip on me tightened in a kind way. There was no answer that came from his mouth. There were men walking outside but I didn't care. "Do I need to prove this further?" I asked a third time, but still no answer. I felt his hand touch the back of my neck. His hand played with the chain of the necklace. His warm hands slipped my hair to the side very carefully. He then took the necklace off and placed it in my jacket pocket and zipped it up. I could tell that made him feel a whole lot better. "Marion, no you don't. Just please... okay?" I couldn't understand what he was saying. "Nick, please what?" I asked him kindly.

The wind blew through the hangar, which made it so cold. He began to say, "it's alright Marion. I am so sorry for what I did to you. I overreacted a little." I told him that he had every right to act the way he did. We finally met eye to eye and we understood each-other again. He glanced at my eyes and laughed. "I'm so sorry..." I naturally opened and closed my eyelids as I stared at him. He leaned in and pressed my lips softly which I returned to him as we held each other close. The short little kisses gave me butterflies. For the past couple of days I would like to apologize to my stomach for all the butterflies, but it's not my fault, it's his. Nick's lips are so smooth and nice almost like butter. His hint of jet fuel smell stuck in my nose. Albeit, it smells nice -like an aviator's cologne. "I'm sorry too." I said as I let out a small smile and a chuckle. "Are we good now?" He asked me and I responded with a firm "yes, and please forgive me."

Just then the air raid sirens sounded again, but this time they seemed louder. Planes dipped down and shot. Dozens of men lied on the ground -purely dead. Was I next? Maybe it was just so....