VI) Nicholas: Fraülein

As soon as those dang air raid sirens went off I hid in one of the restrooms. I knew I was dead- dead if I indeed got caught. I was really not supposed to even be here in this corridor at this time in the morning. I belonged to the other wing of the base. I'm a Flieger Lieutenant that belongs over there and not in the army side of the base. I'm in the Luftwaffe, which is why that is the case.

I shut the door behind me and began to gather my thoughts to curate a plan. I needed a good one to elude the German military, or to just not get in trouble. I didn't have one, so I needed one fast. I heard dozens of men trample through the hallways, which in a way made me feel a little safer knowing they were leaving. "Der Männer sind frei!" I heard one man shout under his breath. The men are free, what does that refer to? Maybe they were just off in their own world, or maybe that was me that was. My mind thought so meticulously regarding a plan.

After standing on the toilet seat in the first men's bathroom located on the eastern side of the base so no one could see me, I decided to make a run for it. After exiting the bathrooms I realized that I was still wearing my Luftwaffe uniform, so I really cannot get caught. The whole uniform thing always drove me crazy because it caused me to get a lot of attention. Being a pilot in the Luftwaffe got me so much attention. I guess everyone thinks that it's good to date a pilot, but I don't know. The little German girls went crazy, but I ignored them. I was and have been sort of an icon here for a while now.

So as soon as I hit the door to leave I ran to the field of trees located behind the airport side of the base. My mind spun as I kept running. The planes were dipping down and destroying the base. There were dying Germans everywhere and it certainly did hurt to see that. When I reached the clearing located between six trees I was able to sit down and rest a little. My heart pounded, causing me a deep trance of nausea. I heard a voice coming behind me, looked back, then fired my gun because he was from the east. He was not German or Swiss, but a lone Frenchman. The sky was filled with smoke and exploding planes. It's one of those things that is only portrayed in the movies, but this was real, very real. "Der Bahnhof. Beilen!" Men were running everywhere pointing to the west where a train station was. I just stayed out because chances are no one would find me.

Debris fell from the sky nearly hitting me as I laid in the grass next to a big oak tree. In my mind I finally decided to make a run to the outward side of the base. I had to have ran for about a mile before I came across something odd. There was a loud bang that caused my ears to ring in a way that I have never experienced before. The field went up in flames that had to have reached close to twenty feet in the air. Immediately, without doubting I ran over there just out of curiosity. The plane was near an explosion when I saw the United States flag printed on the side of the plane. I looked around some more and found a body lying on the ground. I dragged the body by the uniform collar and hauled it away to safety. I just had a feeling that he was more than likely still alive and if I could do something to save one soul, then that's great.

I suddenly remembered one of the other pilots telling me that there is an abandoned cabin a short distance from the base. I looked up and saw it out of the corner of my eye. It was a small, probably one bedroom cabin. It was without a doubt old and rickety. No one apparently goes there, so I took the body there. It was too dark, so I couldn't see much. There were still planes flying through the air and crashing. The Germans predicted that Russia would be back, which is correct because they are attacking Germany right now. We did absolutely nothing wrong at all. It just hurts too much, but we will keep fighting. By the time I had reached the cabin the body began to twitch a little. I figured that it was still alive.

I attempted to look around to make sure that no one was there. After doing so I proceeded to enter the small cabin. There was a torn couch in the corner that I used to lay the body on. I began to search for the first aid supplies. They were in a cabinet in the small kitchen. I began to take off the coat and when I did so I realized it was a woman. The Fräulein was beautiful. She had mid length brunette hair that touched her back. She had stuffed it in her flight jacket. I saw that she had a burn on her left hand. I lifted up her United States uniform shirt sleeve and began to clean the burn. I heard her take small breaths.

While in the cabin I could still hear men screaming in Deutsch. I felt bad, but I needed to help this one person. I used the toolkit to clean and wrap her arm. It was really just her wrist that had problems. Nothing seemed broken and I hope that nothing is broken because I cannot take her to a hospital without getting caught. She began to flinch when I cleaned the cut on her leg. That one was small, but deep. After wrapping that, I decided that was all I could do until she wakes up and gives me permission to inspect her stomach to make sure it's fine.

I set her stuff down in the corner. I could only salvage a flight bag and her flight jacket. All she had was that and the uniform she had on. Part of her uniform was burnt from the fire that exploded from her plane. I found an extra German Luftwaffe uniform from the closet. I don't think she'd be too keen on wearing a German Luftwaffe uniform, but we will see. I sat in the corner and waited for her to wake up. I was quite sad because I felt bad for both her and those like her going through the same thing, but only to be left dead.

At about 3:30 AM all of the yelling stopped, so I looked out the broken window I had covered up. There was no human being around, just broken and battered planes with their pilots lying beside them. I closed the curtain and began to pace the floors of the rusty old cabin. After a minute of deep thought I decided to see if I could take a small nap, but to no bail it didn't work. I just stood in the dark corner and stared at her. Just then is when she began to wake up....