thirty-eight | blowback

𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 | 𝚋𝚕𝚘𝚠𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔

The following Monday I was called back into Commander's office. I spent the entire week alone in my bedroom. Locked away in my investigation room. The room that I may never be able to use again. Isolating myself from the people I've spent everyday with over the last few months. It helped me to come to terms with my future.

I've never been on the receiving end of Commander's compassion.

A black SUV with government tags was parked outside of my apartment, and a man in a black suit was standing with his hand on the back door handle. Why did Commander send a car for me? She's never given me transportation to the agency.

The car ride was the epitome of silence.

Grayson and Thea were in the kitchen cooking together when I left. Neither of them questioned me leaving the apartment by myself. He hasn't wanted me out of his sight or out on my own since Leila's death. Now, all of a sudden, he doesn't care where I'm going.

I'm suspicious.

When we arrived at the agency the driver helped me out of the car, and escorted me into the building. He walked me all the way to Commander's office. The man didn't say a single word the entire time we were together. He left me to knock on the door myself, excusing himself to go back to work.

I've been called into the Commander's office more times than I could count. Normally, I'm being scrutinized for my decisions in the field, or most recently I was being fired from the agency. The door opened a minute later and my knees buckled underneath me.

Commander looked like she hadn't slept in a week. Her hair was knotted in a ponytail on top of her head. Her silky smooth brown hair was greasy and hasn't seen a brush in a while.

"Jesus. You look like shit," I muttered.

She gestured for me to enter her office. "We've been waiting patiently for you. Let's get this done."

We?

The sight in front of me was nerve wracking. Never in my life did I expect to be sitting in the Central Intelligence Agency offices with none other than Archer Hawthorne.

Whatever's happening right now, doesn't seem logical.

"The two of you are no longer in danger. However, with Donovan Halstead still alive, there may always be a sense of danger for you both," Commander said.

"Meaning?" I asked

"Meaning Donovan Halstead escaped C.I.A and F.B.I custody. We're sending him to a secure maximum security facility that technically doesn't exist. We want to be proactive in case an escape attempt happens again."

"Is relocation a necessity?" I asked.

Commander nodded. She extended her arms and handed each of us a manilla folder. I assumed it would contain our new identities and locations. Keeping Archer and I apart will be the way we remain safe. Sending me far away from the organization, and the place where Grayson, Celia, and Thea live will also keep them safe.