twenty-six | anti-surveillance

𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚜𝚒𝚡 | 𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚒-𝚜𝚞𝚛𝚟𝚎𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎 

Archer walked the streets for over an hour.

He's safe. He's fine. He can do this. 

I'm not worried. 

He made sure that he was in Donovan Halstead's line of sight, but always stayed on the opposite side of the street. Archer went into various coffee shops and restaurants, waiting for Donovan Halstead to enter after him. He keeps his distance, but there's no denying that he saw Archer freely walking the streets.

Grayson and I were sitting at different tables in a small organic deli on the same side of the street as Archer. "You've got his attention." I watched Donovan Halstead's body language on security cameras. "Head inside the bar."

We decided that a local bar would be the perfect place for a meeting. It's only three o'clock in the afternoon on a Tuesday. Most people who are legally allowed to drink would be working right now, or maybe students who would want a drink are still at school.

The hidden camera in the button of Archer's shirt showed his complete point of view of the area around him. He intentionally rotated his body to give Grayson and I a 360 view of the bar, before he chose a spot for him to sit. Archer went up to the bartender and got two beers. The bartender has been instructed to give Archer a bottle of Bud Light beer that has been filled with soda. Archer needs to stay focused, so he can't have any alcohol in his system.

Besides the bartender, there's only two other patrons in this bar.

"Here we go," Grayson said, switching to show all the cameras inside the bar.

Donovan Halstead stepped inside the bar and looked around. His eyes found Archer and he immediately went over and took a seat across from Archer. Archer's back was against the window. Grayson and I were sitting parallel with Archer and Donovan Halstead. The only thing I could see out the window is Archer's side profile.

"Showtime," I murmured. 

"Is shitty beer your idea of a peace offering?" Donovan Halstead asked, taking a swig of the beer that Archer got for him. "Aren't you underage?"

"Nothing a good fake ID can't fix," Archer deadpanned, visibly uncomfortable with Halstead's attempt at small talk. Archer took a second to compose himself, and then started asking the fundamental questions. "Who helped you escape?"

"She's quite resourceful," Donovan said, grinning at the thought of his accomplice. "She's the daughter of the night. I've decided that living under the radar while she gets what I need is in our best interest."

"Does she want to kill my parents?" Archer asked.

Donovan nodded. "I think so," he said, taking another swig of his beer. "She won't do it though until they give me what I want. She's tough, but I don't think she has the guts to kill them."