twenty-one | clandestine operation

𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎 | 𝚌𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚎 𝚘𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 

I stood behind the two-way mirror along with two federal agents. Donovan Halstead sat staring at his reflection in the mirror.   

The agents have been waiting for over an hour to let Archer in the room. He came in here making furious demands at people. I'm not going to lie, I was kind of impressed. Archer Hawthorne never struck me as the confrontational type; however, this latest revelation is only pulling me closer to him. No matter how much he pulls away.

No one slept well last night. I got around two hours. Archer and I spent the morning working on what to say to Donovan Halstead. If you walk into a room with that man with no plan, then you might end up dead.

In this case, no one's going to die. However, he might chip away at Archer's soul until he wholeheartedly believes that no one can save his parents.

We stood out of the interrogation room in the F.B.I headquarters when the two agents went into the room to talk to Donovan Halstead. They've been talking with Donovan Halstead for hours. He hasn't eaten or slept since arriving at the C.I.A agency. He doesn't seem on edge yet. His mannerisms have yet to shift.

When the agents came back outside, "Let me in there," Archer demanded.

"We can't do that," an agent said.

I stood next to Archer watching Donovan Halstead. He didn't give me anything useful when I spoke to him. The F.B.I doesn't know who I am.

Right now, I'm nothing more than Archer Hawthorne's girlfriend, offering my support to him during this difficult time. He hasn't looked at me since walking into the field office. Archer tenses whenever I affectionately touch him to make it seem realistic. He hates me.

Archer made no effort to disagree with my plan of being in a romantic relationship. I think that somewhere deep down he knew that this was the best course of action. He'd be going into that interrogation room without a spec of information to go off of. With me on the other side, I can help him work through what he needs to say.

The F.B.I is desperate to find two of their missing agents. If they had any willpower left, they'd throw protocol out the window and let Archer in that room.

"You don't have a choice. These are my parents. I'm going in there, so you either arrest me or open the door," Archer said.

Now I'm impressed. I've never seen Archer with so much fire and diction in his voice. He's never been authoritative or commanding. He's usually content with staying in the shadows.

An agent who looked pissed off with our presence reluctantly went to unlock the door. He choked down the words he wanted to say to Archer. He most likely wanted to give him a word of caution, but he held back his thoughts.