thirty-two | the devil you don't want to know

𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚠𝚘 | 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚎𝚟𝚒𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠

The basement. The fucking basement.

The basement of my apartment building. Literally under my feet.

What kind of sick joke is this? Why in the ever living fuck, would Leila leave them so close? Why would Leila want to be anywhere except for far ... very far away?

Celia and Grayson were so close and it took me too long to realize. The chance that they could be dead, doesn't make me feel any better about the odds.

Little Dean went left out of the dumbwaiter, to keep a visual of Celia, Grayson, Maya and William. I wanted to keep everyone safe. No one in this basement can do what I'm capable of. I had my priorities and they convoluted in level of importance.

Priorities in the basement:

-Make sure Archer is okay.
-Check on Grayson and Celia.
-Survey how much medical assistance Maya and William need.
-Devise an exit strategy.
-Kill Leila Schneider.

Voices were minimal, but I could hear the distinct sound of high heels clicking against the floor. Hiding in the shadows is one of my top skills, so I stayed back, while progressing towards the sound.

"Oh my, Seven!" A female voice exclaimed. I didn't take the bait of confirming to Leila that I was in the basement. "These unpleasantries of hiding are bordering on rude. Please, join us in the light."

"Don't do it, Seven!" I heard Grayson shout. His stern voice wasn't of big brother concern for my well-being. It was his second statement that nearly had me running towards them with all the speed I could gather. "She'll kill Archer."

Unholstering one of my guns, I held it up with both hands. Keeping my back against a solid wall, gave me the most coverage. The metal gates in the storage unit were diamond mesh fences, separating each individual's storage space. Too much of a gap to remain unseen and keep myself protected.

My gun was raised at my eye level.

Stepping into the dimly lit area of the basement would give away my location, but I couldn't stay hiding anymore. Little Dean was positioned in the shadows with a visual of everyone. If the time came when he needed to be called into action, I'm fairly confident that he would do it.

I took the final step out of my hiding spot with my gun aimed directly at Leila Schneider. Up close she wasn't what I was imagining. She was effortlessly beautiful. Beautiful and deadly. A combination that's held highly in the Central Intelligence Agency.

"A gun? I'm astonished that you would go to sure lengths to come and see me," Leila smirked.

Leila. Daughter of the night.