thirty-four | operation: stay alive

𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛 | 𝚘𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗: 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚢 𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎

Coughing up blood is the worst feeling in the world.

It's revolting. I'd rather be bleeding out than to have the disgusting taste of blood on my tongue.

The metallic taste in your mouth, the thick liquid suffocating your tongue like a chokehold, and the color staining your teeth. It's disgusting.

Leila and I have graduated from our fists to using any and all weapons at our disposal. Two of my wrist daggers were getting swung in every direction. Leila's fast. I'll give her that much. However, her moves are sloppy and uncalculated. She hasn't trained in combat situations. Her agility is impressive though.

I could hear Grayson screaming my name from the side of the room. After throwing the first punch, I'd assume that he's doing everything in his power to free himself from his restraints. Archer was never tied up, so he's probably helping everyone escape.

Leila works alone.

There's no backup in the basement with her. A part of me wonders if she was ever going to try and escape from this basement.

Did she come to terms with the possible outcomes? Is Leila smart enough to understand that leaving this basement was borderline impossible.

"Seven! Watch your 6!" Grayson shouted.

I did a 180 turn, seeing that Leila was now behind me. My body felt exhausted, yet she seemed full of energy. She could stay fighting all night long. I didn't have that energy in me anymore.

Another couple of minutes and I'd go down. Down hard.

"Can I tell you something interesting?" Leila rhetorically asked. I knew she would give me the answer either way. "I never gave a rat's ass about the technology that my parents developed. All I had to do was tell Donovan that I could help him, and he was eating out of the palm of my hand."

"I don't care about the technology either!" I shouted, pushing Leila off of me.

Without thinking of the consequences, I brought my knife down and sliced a piece of flesh near Leila's left shoulder. She barely reacted to the pain, but I could see in her pupils that she wouldn't be able to take much more.

Maybe shooting her isn't the answer.

Taking Leila Schneider to her knees, and watching the life leave her body will be success enough for me. However, shooting would end this faster.

Leila's stiletto heel came directly up into my abdomen. At first, the pain was unbearable. She pulled her shoe down, and she kicked both of them to the side. I looked down and saw that my stomach was substantially bleeding. A kick to the stomach wouldn't do that.