Chapter 66

Shikamaru stared at you, and you've been pensive since the day you talked to Itachi. And although he was smart, he didn't need to be to know that Itachi must have told you something. And... He didn't like to see you like this is he was frank with himself.  That was why he had invited you to eat, so you could distract yourself. "What happened?"

Finally Shikamaru asked, trying to ignore the chatter of the other customers in the restaurant. Letting out a long sigh, you leaned back on your seat and finally raised your gaze to look at him.

You looked so...how could he describe you? You did not look strong, physically of course but he knew better. You didn't need to be physically strong to know just how strong you really were.

And perhaps that and your actions were what made them all have some sort of respect and admiration towards you. Only someone like you could do things like you did and for the sake of others. Only- he cleared his throat and blushed to realize he had been starting more than he should have. "So, do you know what happened?" Again you asked, but he had missed what you said before so he didn't quite understand that you were asking him. Letting out a long sigh, you continued. "The Uchiha, do you know exactly what happened to all of them?"

" If Itachi is trying to deny their deaths, the-"

But you interrupted Shikamaru, " He could hae been denying it. That is what I am trying to tell myself, to convince myself. "

But, there was a but and Shikamaru waited for it but it didn't leave your lips. "To convince you to join them, that's why he was here. We all know that."

" But why deny it now? He has been feeding Sasuke's hatred with that for years right? Even if it's to convince me, it doesn't make sense to take that approach. "

It Shikamaru could be honest, to him to didn't make sense as to why Itachi would slaughter all of his people, including his family. And it didn't make sense that he would kill them all, except his brother, only to fuel Sasuke's hatred. And for what? So that Sasuke could be strong and then the two of them would battle each other? It would make no sense, Shikamaru knew. And he knew, although he didn't like it, but that was the Hidden Leaf Village's fault. They were involved, they probably had been the ones to order Itachi to do what he did. It was no secret that the Uchiha Clan was disliked and perhaps feared. So it wouldn't be a surprise to be suspicious of that clan, and for the village(leader or council, among others) to take action before anything else happened. "I cannot confirm that, and I can't really say it's not true what he said either. But even so, the Hokage offered you protection and don't you think if they wanted to harm you they would have done so already?"

Shikamaru wasn't wrong, that was true. But, what if you ended up in more trouble? "I know," taking a long and deep breath, you glued your eyes on Shikamaru's face. "When I traveled back in time, there were other Time Keepers. They wanted to take me, but I escaped the Senju before they made a choice. I ended up with the Uchiha, and the Time Keepers decided to attack me there. Madara and Izuna refused to let them take me."

"As far as we know,  you're the only one left. " But there was the possibility that you had changed that when you traveled back in time. If they attacked you, they did so because you were going to affect the future. They wanted to prevent that from happening, and they wanted to make sure you wouldn't continue to change the future. So, yes, there was a possible that there could be some that would target you... Shikamaru didn't want to think about it. He didn't like to think of all the things you would have to face if that was the case.  You were ready to live a peaceful life, you didn't deserve any more problems.

"But if there are more of them, and if they came to the village asking the Hokage to turn me in or they'll have to face consequences... Would the Hokage continue to provide me with protection?" You were troubled, you were tired and you were scared. "I... I'm starting to be happy here," you smiled at Shikamaru, and that smile made his chest feel warm. "I don't... I don't want anymore problems."

For the sake of the village... Shikamaru could be optimistic, but he knew better. He knew that if it was for the sake of not only the village but for other places too... He swallowed hard and fought not no look away. If he did, he would give away what he believed and it wasn't good. "You're so troublesome, you know that?" He offered a lazy smile, "that's not going to happen. Besides, the Kazekage wouldn't allow that either. You grew up with them too. And you have friends too, now stop overthinking and eat your meal, it's getting cold."

The frown on your face started to smooth out as an indecisive smile began to replace it. " You're right... You're right." But deep down you weren't sure about it, and Shikamaru noticed. Either way you finally managed to smile at him, a happy smile, and began to eat your meal.

It had been quite a while actually, a while since he had been thinking of taking you out to eat...Alone. He enjoyed being around you, he didn't know why, he never knew why. Even when he was younger, even with everything that had happened... He always enjoyed being around you. Even now, he found himself enjoying having you around, having you in front of him. It brought a sense of calmness and warmth to him. And he wanted to contie to feel that way in the near future, he wanted to have you around in the near future. And if he wanted to keep that way, he would have to have an important discussion with the Hokage.