𝑯𝒐𝒎𝒆

Ame shivered. The cold wind blew around her as she stood in front of her childhood home. Keys in one hand, a suitcase in the other. Ame looked at the house and at her surroundings. The neighbourhood had changed, some buildings changed and she could see the big buildings that she didn't remember being there. Both of her neighbours left, and the whole street was filled with new people. They looked at the girl, confused.

Everyone knew the man living in that house had died not too long ago. Everyone had known him. The man is obsessed with finding his missing daughter. Many thought the man had gone crazy, after the traumatic events in his life, losing his wife and his daughter. They pitied him. Some thought he was a loving man, nice, welcoming, but so incredibly sad. Not many truly knew him, they talked to the man and laughed with the man, but never knew the man.

The whole street was looking at the girl in front of the lonely house, no longer a home to anyone. They'd wondered and gossiped about what would happen to the house. Rumours about it being sold or taken over by an unknown relative had spread, but no one really knew. Until now.

A teen girl. She couldn't be? could she? No, it was impossible. The man had gone crazy from his trauma, nobody truly believed his daughter could still be out there. And even though the question went through all their minds, not one person dared to ask. Just looked at the girl that had now slowly entered the house and closed the door behind her.

The door fell close behind me. It was all still the same. The same wallpaper, the same coat hanger, with the same coats. The smell brought me right back. It felt like coming home. Like if I'd turn the corner I'd see mum in the kitchen and dad working at the kitchen table. But when I did turn around the corner, it was empty. It was an empty shell of my home.

I left my suitcase in the hall behind me as I walked through the kitchen. In the cabinets, there was some food left. All gone bad. Just like the plants, they'd all died. Nothing was alive in this house. The only spark of life were the photos. They are everywhere. Just like I remember them. Some discoloured a bit but filled with the bright smiles of my parents, grandparents and myself.

In the corner of the living room stood a table, I didn't recognise it. One large frame on top, along with one of my stuffed animals, candles and some other things. It was a photo of myself and my mother. A memorial. It brought tears to my eyes. Dad had spent all his life not knowing, living a lonely life. It hurt knowing what could've been.

My name was still on the door, AME, all capital letters with flowers rainbows and animals. Pushing open the door it felt like a wave of nostalgia came over me. Every single thing was placed just how I'd left it that one day. My bed was neatly made. My clothes hanging in the closet. I sat on my bed wrapping my head around it all. I never thought this would make me feel overwhelmed with emotions. It made me tired, and the tears streamed from my face, but I wasn't just sad. I felt mad, sick, happy, and sad and I felt love. I need sleep.