Chapter Eighteen: Ravenclaw Confidence

Harry Potter and the Trip Through Time
Chapter Eighteen: Ravenclaw Confidence
Book 1

Almost a week had gone by, and Tom had calmed down significantly in his public displays of affection, however, Ron and Hermione were still hung up on his period of weird behavior.

"I just don't get it." Ron said one evening in the common room after a long conversation of Harry trying to talk them out of their suspicions, "It's not like Riddle to be so emotional, if that's even the right word."

"It's not." Hermione said, shaking her head, "He was much more flirtatious than emotional, that much I know. However, I still can't think of a reason for him to have been like that with Harry. I know Dumbledore said that Riddle would charm people to get what he wanted, but what could he want from Harry?"

Harry shrugged, "I dunno, Hermione. I don't have anything of interest."

"What if he's trying to get your invisibility cloak?" Ron asked, "He knows you have it and they're super rare."

"I don't think Riddle would strive for a possession." Hermione said, "Harry, are you sure he hasn't been by the entrance to the Chamber anytime soon?"

Harry nodded, "As far as I know. I've camped out in that bathroom so many times underneath my cloak, and I've never seen him go by it on the map."

"Myrtle was the first casualty before." Ron said, "Wasn't she?"

Harry nodded, "That's what Dumbledore said."

"If he remembered that much, why couldn't he have just told us when it was opened?" Ron groaned.

"Because our presence here will alter the past." Hermione said, "We already have with me getting petrified, that didn't happen before. Without knowing, we could've accidentally caused him to figure it out sooner, or open it sooner, so if we let our guard down and just waited for the date and something happened, we wouldn't be as prepared as we need to be. The next time he opens it will be the day Myrtle dies, we have to be ready to stop that from happening."

"Exactly." Harry agreed, "We have to be ready. If we can't stop him from opening the chamber, then it will be even harder to push him away from the evil path."

"Meanwhile," Hermione continued, "We should keep an eye on Myrtle. If we can't prevent Riddle from opening the Chamber again, maybe we can prevent Myrtle from being in the bathroom."

Ron's head popped up, "Kelly."

"Kelly?" Harry and Hermione asked.

"Yeah, she's in Ravenclaw." Ron explained, "Myrtle is in our year, so she's bound to know her, plus, she and I are kind of a thing."

Harry raised an eyebrow, "And what makes you think that?"

Ron grinned, "We flirt."

Harry and Hermione exchanged glances, neither one of them really believing him.

"Well then, why don't we go talk to her?" Hermione suggested.

"Yeah Ron, where shall we find your supposed girlfriend?" Harry asked.

Ron blinked, "I- don't know."