Chapter Fifteen: Ringing in the New Year

Harry Potter and the Trip Through Time
Chapter Fifteen: Ringing in the New Year
Book 1

Harry and Tom made their way downstairs to see Ron already down there talking to August, as well as two adults greeting Fleamont, Euphemia, Henry, and Sirius.

"Harry!" August said happily when she saw him, "How have you been?"

"I'm good." Harry told her, the two giving eachother a quick hug, "What about you?"

"I'm great." She beamed.

"What happened to your hair?" Ron asked Harry.

August looked up at Harry's hair, her eyes widening.

"Did you cut it?" She asked, "It looks swell."

Harry laughed, "Thanks, but I didn't cut it. Tom did."

It was then that August noticed Tom standing next to Harry. The girl jumped slightly, obviously not comfortable being so close to the boy, but she plastered on a non-convincing smile.

"Oh-" She said nervously, "I didn't realize the Riddles were invited as well- Didn't hear your name when Dad was going over who was invited-"

"Then pay more attention next time." Tom said flatley.

Harry gave Tom a stern look, making the teen roll his eyes.

"I invited Tom to spend the Holidays with us." Harry told August, "He wasn't on the invite list because he was already here."

"I see..." August said slowly, "Erm- Where's Hermione?"

"Who knows?" Ron shrugged, "She'll be down here soon, probably got her nose stuck in a book and lost track of time."

Harry and Ron shared a knowing look. August cleared her throat awkwardly.

"So-" She said, "You two seemed to be dressed fairly casually-"

Tom raised an eyebrow at this, noting that August was pretending as if he wasn't there. Harry looked over at Tom and the teen gave Harry an "I told you so" look.

"If I had things my way I would just be wearing a shirt and a tie." Harry told August, eyeing Tom.

"Who stopped you?" Ron asked, "Hermione?"

"This git." Harry said, jabbing a thumb towards Tom.

Tom rolled his eyes, "Excuse me for dressing appropriately for an occasion."

"So you made Harry dress up too?" August asked.

"At our own party?" Ron added.

"Of course." Tom said, "I wouldn't want to be seen associating myself with someone who looked as if they came from the slums." He eyed Ron and August, "So I must excuse myself, I would prefer not to be seen with the two of you."

Tom walked off, leaving behind a flabbergasted Ron and an infuriated August.

"How dare he-" August growled, "I dressed up nicely today!"