XXXI.

━━ Indigo Rose,July Tenth

━━ Indigo Rose,
July Tenth. ━━

"Good Afternoon. Today we are reviewing the case between Jessica and Ethan Blanchard and Indigo Blanchard. Jessica and Ethan Blanchard are both charged with Child Abuse and Neglect, we are simply here to determine for how long." The Judge says, putting her stack of papers in front of her.

I looked back at Ashton, confused. I didn't know that they had officially charged Ethan and Jessica. That means I'm free— but for how long?

"Firstly, I would like to call Ms. Indigo to the stand." The Judge looks at me with a small grin. I stood up, and walked up to the stand.

She clears her throat, "How are you?" She says, turning to me.

"I'm alright." I say, giving her a confirming nod. "How are you?"

"I'm good. I'm glad that you're alright. May I ask you a few personal questions?" She looks at me curiously. I gulp.

"Yeah, that's fine."

"How long has this Abuse been going on?"

"My entire life.'' I cleared my throat, "I was raised to be the definition of perfect. I was raised to do no wrong. And if I did wrong, I'd be slapped and thrown around like some kind of dish rag. I grew up perfecting normal everyday things, speaking perfectly. Like I said, doing no wrong."

She nods.

"It stopped after I trained myself to be the perfect daughter. Of course, there were little screw ups and I'd get slapped. But for the most part, it stopped. It stopped until I was diagnosed with cancer a little bit ago." I feel a lump in my throat. "I wasn't their perfect daughter anymore. I was, "disease filled." ruined, is what they called it. I was cleared from the hospital and was able to go home. I was happy, but they weren't. They starved me. They hit me. They ruined me. I wasn't what they wanted anymore, so they took it out on me. Until one night, I begged my father to let me run away whilst he was choking me against my kitchen wall. He said I had five minutes until he'd come out and look for me, and if he had found me, I would be dead. If I wasn't found, he'd send men to find and kill me."

I glanced over at my dad who's expression was dry. No eyebrows raised, no clenched fist nor jaw, no lips moving, no nothing. Just a blank expression that was staring into my eyes.

"S—So, I ran to the hospital I'd been treated at. I ran to where I felt safe, and where my favorite doctors were. It was pouring rain and I was soaked, but Luke still hugged me and made me feel safe. I am terrified to walk the streets, knowing there are people out there who want to hurt me. I don't feel safe at home anymore."

Silence filled the courtroom. No one spoke, no one coughed. Nothing.

"Well, Mr. and Mrs. Blanchard. I think Indigo has said enough. She's gone through hell and back twice. I wish you both were eligible for life. Ethan Blanchard, you are charged with Child Abuse and are sentenced thirty to life with no bail. You are eligible for parole in ten years, but I doubt it'll happen. Jessica Blanchard, you are charged with second degree child abuse and are sentenced ten years in prison with no bail. You are not eligible for parole whatsoever.''

I just won.

My mom broke out into desperate sobs, begging me to help her out of it. But I just stared at her as she was on the floor in sobs while screaming, "I didn't do it!"

My dad clenched his fist and jaw, and closed his eyes. I watched.

"and Ashton Irwin, you are welcome to adopt Miss. Indigo right here. Once you are her adoptive father, you will be able to leave this country with her since the United Kingdom isn't the place I believe she wants to be." The Judge says with a small smile on her face, "Just say the words."

"I want to adopt Indigo. Right here, right now." Ashton comes up behind me while I'm standing in front of the Judge stand. "I want to give her a happy life."

"Well then, Ashton Irwin, you are now Indigo Blanchard's adoptive dad. You are going to be sent all of her medical files, insurance, and appointment schedule very soon. I wish you two the best of luck."