Chapter Nine

[THE NEXT DAY]

Charlie:
I wake up to James rattling my bed.

"Yes James, this is how I like to be woken up. Thank you so much," I say sarcastically.
"CHARLIE YOU'RE KILLING ME HERE," he says. "You came home and went straight to sleep and I desperately need to know what happened! Tell me everything, start from the beginning, don't leave anything out!"

I laugh. This guy is more invested in my life than he is about his own. I tell him about last night as he listened intently.

"And then, I kissed him," I say in a hushed tone.
"That's HUGE!!!" He said with a big smile on his face. "How was it? What are you going to do?"

I shrug.

"I honestly have no idea. I feel like I'm just going to take it day by day and see what happens?" I say, unsure of my answer.
"That sounds like a great idea," he says. "Ah dude, I'm so happy for you!"
"He's meeting me at the end of my shift today too."
"Oh yeah?" He asks with a smirk.
"You are literally so annoying," I say.

We get ready and start walking to school. I wonder how it's going to be seeing Nick after last night. I mean, he knows I'm not out, so I doubt anything will happen, but, I just want to see him again. We reach the school and see Mia and Nick waiting for us. My heart immediately starts racing and my stomach is doing flips. We wave and walk over. I hug Mia and then look at Nick.

"Hi," I say with a smile.
"Hi," he says with the same smile.

The bell rings and Mia and I go off in one direction while Nick and James in the other.

"Had a nice night?" She asks.
"I kissed Nick," I blurt out.
"KISSED?!?" She screams.
"SHUT UP!" I say.
"Ah, this is amazing! I'm so happy for you."

I smile at her. I'm happy for me too, but still, I can't help but panic over what this could potentially turn into. I know I'm thinking further down the line than I should. Nick and I aren't dating, we haven't expressed any feelings about each other; all we did was kiss once. Even still, I couldn't help but shake the feeling that whatever is to come with Nick, if anything is ever to come with Nick, it's going to be special. But how can I, how can I even think about that when the thought of people knowing sends me into an absolute panic. Right now, in this little bubble where James, Mia and Nick know, I love it here. I feel free to be exactly who I am and not be judged. I know that's not how it's always going to be if I ever decide to fully come out. I just don't know if I'll ever be prepared for it. But wow, kissing Nick yesterday, and even just seeing him today; I just never felt anything like it.

Nick:
James and I walk to class and sit down. I know that James knows Charlie is gay, but I don't know if Charlie told him that I'm gay; I do know that he definitely tries to give Charlie and I alone time. He's a good wingman to his brother, I think to myself.

"Hey. I feel like there's something I should tell you," I say.
"Oh yeah?" He asks.

He knows FOR SURE.

"I just don't want things to be weird because you're the first, well second, friend I made here and I don't want to lie to you. I'm gay. And I know you know that Charlie's gay. And I know that Charlie's gay."
"And I know that Charlie kissed you yesterday," he adds nonchalantly.

I laugh.

"Seems like you're up to speed," he says.
"Sorry, Charlie and I have absolutely no secrets," he says as he shrugs.
I smile. "No, I'm glad he has you actually. I don't have any siblings and it would have been nice to have someone to confide in about things when I was younger."