Chapter Twenty Three

**TRIGGER WARNING** - Sorry that this is the third chapter in a row that has one of these but I didn't not want to brush over this scene, it's too important. 

Mia:
When I opened the door earlier and saw Charlie and James' Mum, I didn't know what to expect. To be honest, she looked really upset which made me worry. Did something happen to Charlie or James? Sebastian? My parents quickly told me to go upstairs. I hear them talking but Sandra isn't really giving much information other than "her family is broken." I text James and Charlie in our group chat.

Mia: Hey... is everything okay?
Mia: Your mum just got here, she seems pretty upset

I wait awhile but there is no response.

Mia: You guys are freaking me out....

After a minute or so, I receive a private text from James.

James: Hey. 
Mia: Are you guys okay?
James: Physically? Yes. Emotionally? Nowhere near...
Mia: What happened? Everything was so great before we left..
James: Charlie came out to Mum..
Mia: Oh...?
James: Yeah, and you can imagine how well that played out seeing as she's at your house
James: Is she saying anything to your parents?
Mia: "My family is broken" is about all I'm hearing
James: Well, she should know. She's the one that broke it.
Mia: What did she say..?
James: She blamed Nick, told Charlie to call you and tell you it was a misunderstanding so your parents don't find out
James: OH and she told Charlie she lost a son today.

With every text James sent me, my blood begins to boil. Never have I ever had a bad thing to say about their parents. They're basically my Aunt and Uncle. I would have never thought this would have been her reaction, I don't even know who she is right now. How dare she sit downstairs crying, playing this role of a victim when she is the villain? How dare she? Charlie is my brother, blood or not and HOW DARE SHE HURT HIM LIKE THIS? There's no way I can keep quiet. There's no way I can let her continue to sit down there sobbing to MY parents like something happened to her. Like she didn't just ruin her child's entire life fifteen minutes ago? I can hear my heart in my ears, my breathing is unsteady. I slam open my door and begin running down the stairs, but before I can even reach the bottom, there is another knock at the door. I walk over and open it. It's Sebastian.

"Mia, hey. Is -- Wait, are you crying?"

I hadn't even realized that I am so angry there are tears streaming down my face. I know Sebastian knows and I know he's been so great with Charlie. I couldn't help it, the sobs controlled me as I broke down into his arms.

"How could she say that to him?" I manage to say through my sobs.

He wraps his arms around me and rubs the top of my head.

"That's what I'm here to find out," he whispers.
"Mia, are you okay?" Mum asks.
"What happened?!" Dad asks as he walks over.

I see Sandra slowly walk towards us and I couldn't help my roll my eyes.

"Ask your best friend over there. She's not the woman you guys think she is."
"MIA! Don't talk to Sandra like that. She's been here your entire life."
"That doesn't negate the fact that she's being a total bitch right now."
"MIA! ROOM!" Dad screams at me.

For the first time in my life, I am completely ignoring my parents. I know them and I know they will not be okay with what she said to Charlie. That is her son, how dare she. I look over at Sebastian.

"I'd like to come back to the house with you when you leave if that's alright. He's not answering my texts and I need to see him," I say, my voice still cracked from crying.