Treasured Recompense [Lucius Malfoy]

Lucius Malfoy x Reader

[Theme: Young Adult]

Requested by: JulzLovDraco4Eva

The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black had a line of four sisters: the eldest, Bellatrix, led us tall and proud. She was the first to be engaged and to Rudolphus Lestrange no less. Mother was more than elated when Father secured that deal. 

The next was Andromeda. We all loved her, but Mother said that we were no longer allowed to consider her our sister. All members of the Black family had to marry another pureblood, especially of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. She had gone and done the most disgraceful act in Mother's eyes: marry a Muggleborn. 

Narcissa was the youngest sister. A lot of people thought she was cold but she was very loving when in the right company. We were closest as there was only a year of age between us. There was one thing that did bother me... 

From birth, Narcissa and Lucius from the House of Malfoy were engaged despite me being almost the same age as Lucius. A part of me believed that Mother may have been desperately trying to convince the father with whom she was trying to arrange Andromeda to marry to consider me in her place.  

Despite Narcissa and Lucius being engaged, due to the Black's and Malfoy's close connections, our families had many meetings together. It was rare for Lucius and I to spend time together and it was an enjoyable time. He liked to speak in a way that got me to think about the world. He was prideful, much like Bellatrix, and that sense of security was one I enjoyed being around. 

Narcissa loved Lucius; it was clear as day the way she followed him around everywhere he went, minus the few times she went to bed and Lucius and I shared a moment late at night on the balcony overlooking the gardens. I never knew if Lucius returned those feelings. We were only children, after all.

The difficult situation came when Lucius and I were the age of ten, barely off eleven. My Hogwarts letter came in the post and, with it, came a message from my mother.

"Y/N, dear, the Malfoy's engagement with Narcissa has been broken off," my mother spoke with her unfaltering diligent voice, "Therefore, you will be to wed the young Lucius. As you are in the same year academically, your wedding will be shortly after you graduate. I will not have any complaints."

She received no complaints for I had none. I knew my time would come when I would be engaged. I just couldn't figure out why Narcissa was no longer the one involved. When I asked Mother, she pretended she hadn't heard me and if I pushed it, she refused to answer. Narcissa still spoke to me like nothing had happened but I knew she was hurting. 

The first four years at Hogwarts were awkward, at best. The entire Slytherin cohort knew and recognised our engagement more than I did. Lucius made an effort to try to create a loving relationship by speaking to me and trying to get to know me with the opportunities we had to spend time together. 

It grew into a friendship eventually, but it wasn't until the summer of our third year did I begin to realise my feelings for him. He had been there in the times I needed him most. He never, not once, let me down. There were things about him I disagreed with but it was natural to do so with people. 

Our first kiss was while we were watching the gardens on the balcony. That spot held a lot of significance to us. No matter where we went, we found ourselves there... I knew I could truly rely on him from that point forward. He told me he loved me. I told him the same.

.....

Seventh Year

Seventh year brought many new adventures to be experienced as an almost married couple. Once we graduated, nothing would be able to separate us again. It was the dream of any in-love party. I wasn't the type to count down the days... but I was aware of time passing.