Our Christmas Miracle [Tom Riddle] (B)

Good!Tom Riddle x Reader (BiteSize)

[Theme: Student]

Everyone has their own definition of 'perfection'. Some may say it's someone who is exceptionally wealthy. Others may say they can charm a whole room by merely clearing their throat. No matter what they do, others will fall for their every move. 

At Hogwarts, the term was much broader. To some, it was the person who was most academically acclaimed. Maybe it was the Head Boy or Head Girl. The most attractive person, or those who have caught the headmaster's attention. One such person did match all of those criteria. One who was intelligent, tempting, set to be the Head Boy, and had all of the teachers caught under his influence. 

That boy's name was Tom Riddle; the so-called Prince of Slytherin. For a long time, I too believed the Prince to be infallible. Everything he did was flawless... but when you come to realise that even perfection cannot accomplish its name... you'll discover that nobody truly is perfect.

I wandered down the corridor without many thoughts to my mind apart from what I should expect from my parents when I go home for the summer. As I approached the Main Hall, a couple's words nipped at my ears. Considering one participant sounded desperate, I pressed my back against a wall to not interrupt them.

"Sir, surely you can ask the headmaster to reconsider." the first voice spoke. It sounded familiar but from this perspective, I couldn't make out who it was.

"I'm sorry, Tom. I do understand your predicament but Headmaster Dippet has made his decision clear. You will have to go back to the orphanage this summer." the respondent replied. 

Tom? Yes... that voice sounded just like Tom Riddle! But an orphanage? It's true that Tom didn't speak about his family much... well, at all, if I thought about it. He never did say where he went for the summer and spent each Christmas at school. Possibly that's why he was often exhausted when coming back from the summer...

"There must be something you can do, Sir." Tom pushed once more, his demeanour slipping. 

"I'm afraid my hands are tied. Maybe you ought to seek help in another manner." Dumbledore remarked and with long strides quickly came to my hiding space. When he spotted me, he smiled and politely said "Good afternoon, Miss L/N." Of course, he was loud enough for Tom to hear him.

"Good afternoon, Sir." I replied mildly startled and fumbled to look like I wasn't listening in. As I brushed past Tom, he called out my name and I froze in place.

"Were you eavesdropping on my conversation?" he asked bluntly with crossed arms and his dark eyes analysing me. 

"I wouldn't describe overhearing a conversation in a public corridor as eavesdropping." 

Tom smirked at my backchat, clearly impressed that I hadn't folded to his natural charm. "You ought to be more careful. Not everyone will be so forgiving."

A smile crept up on me. Being in the same house and year as Tom, I knew much of his reputation. He was your classic good-boy role model. The majority of people had no reason to doubt that, and neither did I. 

I bowed deeply at his 'generosity'. "I appreciate your fine advice, Riddle. But er- are you really going to go back to...?" I left the question open-ended for him to finish.

"To the orphanage, you mean." he replied, not as a question but as a statement. "I have no other means of staying here." There were hints of disappointment in his tone.

An idea struck my mind. "Is it really that bad there? Are you- are you going to be in pain?"

His eyes thinned as what I perceived to be a memory resurfacing came through and his once pristine posture slouched. "The workers do not take kindly to me, nor do any of the other orphans wish to associate with me. As well, the conditions are subpar. However, am I suffering? ...No. No, I am not."