55) left to say now

17 years ago

17 years ago.

Isla looked up at her mother confused, rubbing her eyes from the slumber she had been abruptly awoken from. "Mama?" Her little voice came, feeling hands under her arms pick her up.

Polina looked flustered and stressed, shaking slightly as she quickly grabbed her baby from her bed and rushing out of the room. She walked straight into the kitchen, a trap door hidden under the floor propped up and ready to enter.

"It's ok, my baby. Mama and papa just need to talk with a friend. We're gonna do what we've been planning for, the little hideaway, ok?" Polina reassures her daughter in a hush hush tone, hurrying her down the secret steps under the kitchen floor.

"Where's papa?" Young little Isla asked her mother as she held her in her arms, looking down as they went into the hidden room under the floor. It was quite literally child size, a small toilet and sink in the corner.

Against the wall sat a toddler bed, princess covers on top to keep her warm in the cold room. The light switch was next to her bed for easy access when she was ready for bed.

An old tv on a broken nightstand sat shady the opposite wall, the remote, picture books, and a few little toys there for her. And not far from it was a small mini fridge, stocked with snacks and plenty of water to last her until the timer and off.

Finally, a digital clock on the wall. It would go off for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the next 5 days. They weren't full on meals, but were all they could give her.

Her parents had prepared for the worst since the day she was born, knowing some day they would be found. But they wouldn't risk the safety of their daughter. So as well as letting her be a kid, practically trained her.

Every day, at the same times, an alarm in their house would go off for when they were to eat. Isla caught on quickly, even asking her mama to help when she knew the timer would go off soon.

They taught her how to get food on her own, little by little Isla was able to open the refrigerator on her own and grab a fruit cup to munch on as she watched her favorite movies.

Polina fought back tears as she set her daughter down in the hidden room, kneeling down next to her daughter as tears to her eyes. "Why mama crying?" Isla asked, her head tilting to the side.

Forcing a smile, Polina shook her head. "Mama just can't wait to take you and papa after the park after this. We can go see the raccoons you like to feed and talk too."

A happy smile came onto little Isla's face, clapping her hands a few times. "Where's bear bear and Papa?"

"Right here, my dove."

Fydor's voice comes from above, both his wife and daughter looking up to the hidden trap door as he climbed down the steps. He carried a black teddy bear they had gotten for her about a week ago, and she was very much attached to it now.