21) the water

The doctor pressed his stethoscope against her chest, kneeling in the ground next to the couch as he listened to her heart and lungs

The doctor pressed his stethoscope against her chest, kneeling in the ground next to the couch as he listened to her heart and lungs. Maxim watched the doctor, Isla still in his arms.

Mila was standing behind the couch, her arms folded as she watched it happened. She may have looked pissed, but she was concerned.

Nikolai held Casket, examining the weird teddy bear Isla loved so much. He gave it a weird look, just eyeing the damn thing.

The doctor finished, taking his stethoscope off and putting it into his bag. "Well, she seems to be doing ok at the moment." He spoke in Russian, not knowing English very well. "Her breathing is still a little wheezy, but with her inhaler and staying calm, she should be ok. Her heart rate is a bit high though, she should keep it easy for the rest of the night." /Russian/

Gently caressing Islas face, Maxim brushed the hair away before looking up at the doctor. "Was this a panic attack or something more?" /Russian/

"From what you described, this was a severe panic attack. Either a memory or seeing something must have caused it. It seems like it hasn't been treated. Do you have any idea what it was over?"/Russian/

Maxim shook his head looking down as Isla tucked her face into his neck. "Therapy for what this is would be best, if it is from past trauma. I would find out what's going on, but that's all I can do." /Russian/Zipping his bag up, Maxim shook his hand before the doctor left.

"You two go home,  dismiss the maids for me, yes?" He told Nikolai and Mila, Nik giving Isla her teddy bear back. "Are you going to ask her about this? Not now, of course."

"Later. I'm going to take her up to bed for a bit."

Sighing Nik looked down at Isla as she slept softly. She had tear stains on her face, breaking his heart when seeing his new friend like this.

"Take care of her, and call me if you need anything." Nik told Maxim, getting a cherry lollipop from the kitchen and putting it with Isla.

Maxim took Isla upstairs, deciding to go to his room instead of hers. As he laid Isla down on his bed, he heard her whimper and cry out softly.

"Calm down, Calm down, I'm just getting some comfy clothes for you, little dove." /Russian/ He assured her in his mother language, calming her down by the sound of his voice.

After making sure she had her teddy bear cuddled up, he went over to his closet and opened the doors. He grabbed one of his shirts and a pair of boxers, turning the light off inside and going back out to her.

Standing next to her by the bed, Maxim bent down and whispered softly to her. "Can I change you, little dove? I won't look, I'll close my eyes."

Islas eyes opened a little, and sniffles softly while nodding. With his eyes closed, he carefully undressed her keeping her undergarments on. He slipped the shirt over her head, pulling the boxers up before opening his eyes.

Isla was looking right up at him, sniffling softly as a couple tears ran down her face. "Oh, baby." /Russian/ Maxim said, his term of endearment in his mother tongue.

Maxim scooped her up, laying down before setting her down on his body. She was gently straddling him, her chest pressed against his.

As Isla tucked her head into his neck, Maxim wrapped his arms around her waist. "Tell me what's happening in that little mind of yours, little dove." He whispered, gently petting her hair.

"I-I feel stupid..hic" Isla said softly, ending it with a little hiccup from her tears. "Why's that? You aren't stupid, my little warrior."

"B-Because I freaked out over a pool."

Maxims eyebrows furrowed, recalling back to about a half hour ago when he found her. She was in the pool hall, that's why she freaked out?

Carefully, he sat up and leaned himself up against the head board of the bed. "Why? Are you scared of it?" He asked, becoming concerned.

I'll demolish it if I have to. He thought, no hesitation in his mind.

"I don't like the water." Isla whispered, feeling embarrassed that water of all things was her fear.

Taking her head out of her neck, she wiped away her tears before speaking. "My u-uncle kidnapped me when I was 9." She revealed, unaware that he already knew about it.

Maxim gently played with her hair, silently hinting for her to go on. "Everyday for months, he would hold my head down in water until I c-couldn't breathe." Isla let out another hiccup, her eyes welling up with tears once again as she recalled those horrid memories.

Now knowing this, Maxim was furious. Knowing that her uncle, that sick bastard did all that, he wanted to kill.

His attention was back on her when he heard a little sniffle, leaning forward and kissing her cheek. "We don't have to talk about this if you want to, little dove."

Isla shook her head, wanting to let him know. "I-I'm just scared, he threw me in a lake a few times, he knows I can't swim. Th-then he would leave me in there right until I couldn't keep myself a float, and hold out a pole for me to grab. He wanted to continue doing this, taking his anger out on me."

Doing his best to control his own anger, Maxim pulled her closer into him, telling himself that she's safe here with him since he could smell her cherry sent right there, he could feel her wrapped around his arms, he could see and hear her. She was safe with him.

"Why did he want to hurt you?"

"I guess my parents owed him a lot of money, but when they died it went to me. He tried to adopt me so he could get the money and use me as his punching bag. But when that didn't work out, he resorted to his other option."

Isla could feel her heart racing, looking right into Maxims eyes. She told herself she was safe with him. She could smell his classic whiskey scent, she could feel his arms and large hands wrapped around her waist holding her close, she could hear and look into his beautiful eyes. He was keeping her safe.

"Is he locked away?" He asked, looking up at her. A small shake of her head made him clench his jaw, his brows furrowed. He was so angry, so furious.

Isla placed her small hands on his face, one cupping him under his chin, and the other trying to smooth out the furrow in his brows.

"He was never caught, he got away with only having to avoid cops his entire life, and I now have PTSD my entire life." While her words sank into him like an anchor in sand, Isla had calmed down.

The two sat with each other for a while, just enjoying their sweet embrace of love and affection.

"Every time I have to wash myself, I can't get those thoughts out of my head, Max. I don't know what to do." She frowned, a pout on her face.

He was silent for a little bit, a thought coming to mind. "Tomorrow morning, we will figure out what to do so you'll feel safe when showering, ok? For now, let's get you some dinner."

He gave her one last forehead kiss before the two went downstairs.

.