13. Disturbing turn

One more day before the party begins, my last day of being alive and free.

With Black hat I feared the worst for my life, in case he ends it that day.

My mind was racing, and my hands didn't seem to follow, making Nico worry. Not one book was checked into the system, as the scanner in my hand missed the bar code. Even though I placed it onto the cart for the scanned ones, making her snap at me, "Y/N!"

"Huh?" was a slow response, not realizing what is going on around me.

"An hour, you are on this for an hour and not a single book was signed in" It got worse as she realized a few books missing and other turned to shreds, "Y/N, you idiot! Cursed book isn't supposed to be mixed with normal ones...they tear them apart!"

I was supposed to be angry right now, but somehow...I couldn't.

"Anyway, where is that useless friend of yours, this Abi girl"

I knew but I don't care. After our latest fight with morning, I left for work. Whatever she is doing it was not my interest, for all I know she can rot in hell. Nico pushed me to counter and ordered me to stay put. At least I couldn't make any mistakes now while being behind the counter and not doing anything. Ada touched my shoulder lightly, giving a warm smile, "You ok hun?"

"No...had a fight with Abs"

Ada sighted lightly, massaging my shoulder, "You get along again"

"No we won't"

"I am sure it is not a big deal"

"It is"

We sure had a lot of fight but never about something so serious. Whatever Ada said, she couldn't convince me to make it up to Abi. My friendship with her was over. Nico had some trouble to tame the wild beats begging Ada to help her out. Making a gesture to go, the rest of the night I spend serving heroes and villains coffee and cake, leaving the rest to the girls. By the end of the night existence was allowed to come back to the counter. Nico has cleaned up the mess I caused and had send me up as punishment. Finally, I was back at my usual position. I leaned against the counter, only to remove some book off it. Ada didn't say anything while Nico snorted at that. Other than that, they left me alone

"Today is not my day" I mumbled, crawling under the counter. My hand reached out to one book, only to be in contact with a pair of shoes...very familiar shoes. Before reaching it, a walking stick had hit my hand making me whine out.

Instead of an apology, I received a chuckle.

Shouldn't have expected anything less from that man. Black hat stood behind that counter with a smile. At least not so wide to show his teeth. Bowing slightly in my direction he spoke up, "Good evening dearest. I believe my order has arrived." Not sure if that was true, I checked the list of items beside the pc, "just a moment...sir." Being nice to him was harder than I thought. The pain in my hand was eager to give him twice as much back, in form of a massive slap.

"Yes, here they are...please wait here...sir."

Hurrying to the girls I gave them the list, "Could you take care of him please?"

Ada shocks her head, "Y/N, we agreed on this. We do not take on villains for orders. This is yours and Abi's position."

"Just this once, please"

"No Y/N. Deal with it" pointing towards him, they left me alone.

I had no choice btu to give him a gesture to follow me. Having him right behind me was disturbing, but because o the space between the shelves from the cursed books I had no choice. A few were a little uneasy from the long trip making noises and tries to break out of the shelves. Two of them were for Black hat, btu I couldn't get a hold of them in this state. I asked him kindly if he could wait for me ot calm them down, he stopped me talking. With his walking stick, he pressed it against my lips before giving me to hold it for him. Without a word, he stood before the shelf. All off a sudden, everything around us turned pitch black, drowning all bookshelves in the area, except for the one before him. The books seem to be shaking in fear, whining like dogs. This moment didn't last long, until everything was back to normal. His gloved hand opened the safety glass and took out the books, they were deadly silent in his arm, like a pair of normal books. Giving him the walking stick back, we headed back to the counter, now with him before me. Still, I felt uneasy.

At the counter, he placed the tamed books on the table, "What do I owe you?"

Somehow, this made me freak out, "E-excuse me?" After all that happened, he still wants to pay???

Playing along, I told him the number. It got even more disturbing as he noticed the customer card we offer for our customers. He wanted to be a member...why is he torturing me?! With the discounts, he received a new number to pay, giving me his credit card. His grin didn't make this situation any more bearable, handing it back to him, "Good evening, Sir".

"Good evening, Dearest"

That when it hit me, "Sir!"

He stopped, looking over his shoulder. Stepping before him, I handed over the pocket watch, "Give me back my watch"

"You get it..." he grinned wider, "...at the party."

"I want it now" I pleaded, sounding pathetic at this point. This watch is precious to me, the fear of losing it was too great. Not even my fears could stop me to get it back, begging him for it. Not expecting to reach into his jacket to hand it over. An unusual thing for him to do. With him taking his pocket watch back, he held his hat for a second, gave me one long nod before leaving...his smile...never faded.

Outside was Abigail with a large bouquet of flowers.

To see Black hat here took her by surprise but remained silent. Unlike him, who walked past her with a vicious smile, "Now it is your turn, don't fail".