Bones

“So, what’s the plan now?” Amelia asked as she parked the car in her parking space at the hospital.

“I’m going to talk to the chief of surgery to get a job here and once that’s sorted I’m gonna go to New York to say goodbye to everyone and then I’ll start working,” Derek told her as they got out of the car, Meredith and him holding hands.

“I’m sure Bailey will be glad to have you on her staff, it’s me you’ll have to convince that you’re good enough for my department,” Amelia smirked, reminding him that he’d have to work under her.

Derek groaned at the thought. “I can’t believe you’re going to be my boss.”

“I can’t either.” Amelia smiled. “And I love it.”

“And I can’t believe I’m gonna have to listen to your bickering on daily bases. This is one of those moments when I’m glad I grew up as an only child.” Meredith sighed.

”I thought you had a sister.” Derek remembered their conversation from earlier.

“I do. It’s complicated, I’ll tell you later.’’ Meredith told him as they walked into the hospital.

“While we’re at it, why wasn’t Lexie home yesterday?” Amelia asked as they made their way to the chief’s office.

“She was on call last night. She stayed at the hospital.” Meredith knocked on the door of Bailey’s office.

“Come in.” They heard from the other side of the door. “The prodigal daughters have returned.” Bailey looked up from her computer as the door opened, it seemed like she was busy with work.

“Hi bailey,” Meredith and Amelia smiled at her as they walked into her office, Derek walking behind them.

“Hello,” He smiled, unsure what to do.

“Dr. Bailey, this is my brother, Dr. Derek Shepherd,” Amelia told Bailey, whose facial expression undoubtedly changed at the mention of his name. Everyone had heard of Derek Shepherd, of course, he was one of the best neurosurgeons in the country. Bailey was intrigued by the fact that he was standing in her office right at the moment. She was hoping his visit could only mean one thing. “He just moved here from New York and he’d like to start working here as a neurosurgeon."

“That would be our pleasure.” Bailey smiled. She wasn’t one to suck up but this new addition could change a lot for the better in the hospital. “Please take a seat, I’d like to ask you a few questions.” She told him. “Are you staying?” She asked Meredith and Amelia who were standing behind Derek, who was now sitting in front of Bailey.

”No, we have to get back to work.” Meredith told her. “Good luck” Her voice was lower now, only meant to be heard by Derek. She squeezed his hand before she and Amelia walked out. Bailey wasn’t sure what their relationship was before, but now she could see where they stood relationship-wise. She wondered if that was the reason for him moving here.

“Do you think he’ll be okay?” Amelia asked as they walked out of Bailey’s office.

“What makes you think that he won’t?” Meredith asked as they walked into her office.

“I don’t know, I mean, I've been working here for a while now and Bailey still scares me sometimes.” Amelia shrugged, sitting on the couch next to her.

Meredith laughed. “He’ll be fine. Bailey isn’t scary unless it’s necessary, and she looked like he was glad to see him here.”

“Okay, I’m convinced. I gotta go, check if Nelson has burned down my department yet.” Amelia told her before she left, leaving Meredith alone with her thoughts.

It wasn’t long before there was a knock on the door and it was opened before she could say anything. Derek was standing at the entrance of her office, a smile plastered on his face.

"Hey. A nurse helped me find your office."

“Hey” she smiled at him, glad to be having him in her space. It was different in New York. It felt like she didn’t have control over anything, like it could all be over in the blink of an eye. Here she felt more confident in their relationship, even though they’d barely known each other for two weeks.

He walked in, closing the door behind him. “I’m officially working here now.” He walked up to her and sat down next to her. She placed her head on his shoulder. He kissed her temple. It was such a simple action, the one that felt like they had been doing it forever, the one that they were planning to keep doing forever. The level of intimacy they had reached in such a short time might’ve looked almost alarming for others, but for them, it was only natural. It was just the way they were. Both knew they belonged together. It was simple as that.

“I’m so glad you’re here.” She told him.

“Me too, Mer.” He smiled as he breathed the scent of her hair in. It had become his favorite smell since the moment he met her at the bar.

“You still haven’t told your mother that you’re moving?” She asked, raising her head from his shoulder.

“Not yet. She doesn’t even know I’m here yet. I think maybe I should go back to New York tonight, talk to her tomorrow, sell my house there, and get my stuff before I officially move here. What do you think?” He asked, wanting to know what was going through her mind.

“When will you be back?”

“As soon as I can. Hopefully in two days but it could be a little longer.” She could tell by his expression that he wasn’t happy that he’d have to be apart from her either.

“Is your mother going to be okay with it?”

“She will be. She won’t be happy about it though.” He told her.

“What do you mean?” she asked, not sure what he meant by that.

“All of us live in less than an hour's drive from her, well, except Amelia. She’s used to having all of us there all the time. She’ll be understanding. She’ll be happy for me. She loves you, Mer. She knows you’re good for me. But she’ll be sad that I’ll be so far away. I know she will. She was always worried about Amelia. Now she’ll worry about me too.”

Meredith’s face dropped. “Are having second thoughts?” She asked. “about moving.” She clarified.

“Mer, no.” He turned to her, his body facing her, his hands caressing her cheeks. “I know this is the right thing for me. I have no doubts. I love you. I love you more than anything or anyone on earth, and you need to know that so deeply that you never doubt it. You need to know it in your bones and if it takes me telling you every single day for it to sink in that deep, then I'm gonna do that because you are my everything.” He told him with such certainty, that she had no choice but to believe him. Her eyes filled with tears, a smile plastered on her face. He brought her face closer to his, kissing her lips.

“I love you too.” She told him after they pulled away as he caressed her cheeks to wipe her tears.

“I won’t be gone for long, I promise. I’ll be back before you know it.” He kissed her forehead as he buried her face in the crook of his neck, once again losing herself in his comfort.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! 💗

I'm sorry it took me so long to update, I just find it hard to get myself to write sometimes, and the longer I procrastinate, the harder it gets. I'll try to update soon this time! ✨