It's a beautiful day to save lives

The sun was shining through the curtains and Meredith couldn't help but bury her head under the pillows. She was never a morning person, she just wanted to sleep, she needed to and her job never allowed it so she was going to use this chance to get some rest. She wanted to sleep but she couldn't get Derek out of her mind. She was deep in these thoughts when she heard a quick knock on the door and then someone barging into her room without permission. She opened her eyes to find Amelia smiling at her.

"Get up. Right now." She told her.
"What? Why?" Meredith groaned. "What time is it?" She asked as she reached for her phone.
"It's nine o'clock." Amelia said matter of factly.
"Why do I have to get up so early? I was planning to sleep in." Meredith pressed a pillow in her face.
"Well, not anymore. We're going to the hospital."
"What? Why? Are you okay? Is everyone okay?" Meredith asked panicking.
"No, no, it's nothing like that. Everyone's okay. I just thought you'd be bored out of your mind as soon as the Christmas activities were over and so am I. So, we are going to take you to the hospital where I started my internship and we're gonna try to get surgical privileges, maybe cut into someone's brain." She smiled when she saw Meredith pushing a pillow away from her face. Surgery always was their biggest passion. "Get up, unless you want to stay in bed all day instead of doing awesome surgeries with me. Oh, and Derek works at that hospital." Amelia emphasized the last part and immediately ran to the door to avoid the pillow that Meredith threw at her. "Be downstairs in ten" Amelia exclaimed as she run out of the room and shut the door close.

Meredith didn't want to get up at first, but Amelia was right, she was bored out of her mind and she already missed surgery so she started getting dressed. She hated to admit it to herself, but she was excited to see Derek again. She immediately blocked thoughts about Derek and went on with getting ready.

A few minutes later, she was downstairs, where everyone was having breakfast. She said hello to everyone and sat next to Amelia, but her eyes were searching for Derek. He was nowhere to be found, so she figured he had already left.
After breakfast, everyone started getting ready to leave. Meredith found Amelia saying goodbye to her mother.

"Meredith, sweetheart, it was so nice to meet you." Mrs. Shepherd looked at her lovingly. "I was just telling Amelia that I expect both of you to visit me at least once before you go back to Seattle. And If you ever find yourself in New York, even without Amelia, know that you have a place to stay. My doors are always open for you." She said as she hugged her.
"Thank you, Mrs. Shepherd." Meredith smiled at her with gratitude.
"Please, call me Carolyn, dear. Mrs. Shepherd makes me feel old." They chuckled at that.

Soon enough Meredith and Amelia left. They called a cab to take them to the hospital.
"It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be" Amelia stated on the way there.
"Yeah, I loved your mother. It was awkward with your sisters, though."
"And what about Derek? Was it awkward with him?" Amelia gave her a knowing look.
"Shut up," Meredith said, nudging Amelia.
"You think I didn't notice how you were searching for him at the breakfast and were so disappointed when you didn't see him there?" Amelia was clearly enjoying getting on her nerves.
"Okay, I'm going to say this once. I'm glad that you said you were fine with whatever happened between us but that doesn't mean that it has to happen again. We're leaving in a few days anyway."
"Alright, alright. All I'm saying is that I meant it when I said that I'd be okay with the two of you being together." "Ouch," she added as she got nudged again. "Fine, I'm shutting up." She said when she saw Meredith glaring at her. She knew her all too well. She knew she was too stubborn to accept her feelings so easily, so she decided to give her space and time to figure it out on her own.

They got to the hospital a few minutes later. Amelia showed Meredith around and then took her to the chief's office to get privileges. They headed to the ER as soon as they got them. The ER was full of injured teenagers and adults who were too stupid to be allowed to use pyrotechnics. They were too busy going through patient files to notice Derek slowly approaching them.