Evermore

Meredith was woken up by her phone buzzing. It was early in the morning and she had no idea who was interrupting her sleep, but whoever it was, she hated them. Her plan of getting some sleep was ruined yet again. She lazily turned over in the bed and reached for the phone to see who the caller was. She was surprised when it turned out to be an unknown number. She wasn't expecting anyone's call so she was a little hesitant on answering at first, but she was curious about who was calling her this early in the morning, so she finally answered it.

"Hi," a male voice said on the other end of the line.
"Hello. Who is this?" She asked, confused.
"Wow, I didn't expect you'd forget about me so soon," a male voice said again and this time she recognized who it belonged to. She could recognize his arrogance anywhere.
"Derek? How'd you get my number?" She asked, knowing very well it was the result of Amelia's antics.
"Your best friend is my sister, remember?"
"Right." She muttered under her breath. "So what do you want?" She asked, still confused.
"I... umm..." There was silence for a second. "I wanted to ask, if you'd like to have dinner with me." Derek finally blurted out.
Meredith didn't know what to say. She didn't expect him to call her, but she definitely didn't expect him to ask her out.
"Like a date?" She asked.
"Yeah, if you want."
"Umm... I don't know if I can find time for that, I'm very busy. So I'll call you back later." She said making up a lie.
"Alright, but we both know you have all the time in the world right now." There was no answer as he said this. "It's okay. If you don't want to go out with me you can just say so. No need to make up lame excuses about having no time." He added, sounding a little hurt.
"I never said I didn't want to go out with you. I just... Wouldn't it be weird?"
"Because of Amelia?"
"Yeah."
"She clarified yesterday that she wouldn't have a problem with it so I don't see why it'd be a problem. Seriously, if you don't want to go out with me, you can just tell me Mer, I can take no for an answer." He said with tenderness in his voice, but all she could think about was him calling her 𝘔𝘦𝘳. All of her friends called her that  but it was different when he said it.
"I want to," she said without thinking much about it. "So text me when and where?"
"Yeah, I'll text you," he said, a smile plastered on his face.
"See you later," she said smiling.
"See you later, Mer" he whispered as she hung up the phone. He loved calling her that. It made him feel closer to her. He hoped to get closer to her. He wasn't planning on falling for her but it was impossible not to. Everything about her made his heart flutter. Her eyes, her smile, her laugh, her heart... Everything about her made him fall desperately in love.

He texted her the details immediately, so she wouldn't have a chance to make up excuses. He was nervous. So was she. They both hated how much effect the other one had on them.

After reading Derek's text, Meredith took a shower and got dressed. A few minutes later, she was knocking on Amelia's room, needing to tell her all the details.

"It's 8 in the morning, can't you let a woman sleep a little more?" she could hear Amelia mumbling on the other side of the door.
"Hey" Mer smiled at her nervously as she opened the door.
"Oh, it's you. I thought you were room service." She let her in and closed the door.
"What's going on?" she asked as she saw Meredith pacing in the room.
"Derek asked me out" she blurted out and went on with pacing.
"On a date? Oh my god! Oh my god! Please tell me you said yes." Amy asked impatiently.
"Yeah," Mer said nervously.
"Yes, " Amelia exclaimed This is so exciting Mer." At this point, she was practically jumping up and down.
"No, it's not. What do I wear? How do I do my hair? Makeup? No make-up? A little make-up? This is so stupid."
"Oh my god! I've never seen you like this. You're falling in love." Amelia said with happy tears in her eyes.
"No, I'm not."
"You so are."
"Oh my god. I'm falling in love with Derek Shepherd" Meredith said as she fell on the bed and covered her face with a pillow. "What if he doesn't feel the same way?" She muttered from under the pillow.
Amelia sat next to her and pushed the pillow away from her face and looked at her in the eyes.
"Have you seen the way he looks at you? I've never seen my brother like that. Not even with Addison. He's totally falling for  you." She reassured her.
"That's even worse, Amy. We can't be falling in love with each other, we've only known each other for a few days. Plus we're leaving in a few days and I'm probably never gonna see him again. It's only gonna break our hearts", she said, sadness filling her eyes.
"Let's do one day at a time, okay?" Amelia said and laid next to her. "You'll figure it out Mer."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

She was nervous. Meredith Grey was never nervous, she knew how to keep calm in the worst situations, except now she was nervous. She didn't know what she was doing, or what was going to come out of this. She hated stupid dates where you had to sit there and pretend you liked someone, then leave and never see that person ever again. She thought it was pointless. Until now.

Even though her nervousness was getting the best of her, she was still glad that he asked her out. He took her to a nice restaurant. There were enough people, but not too many and the place was undoubtedly elegant. She took a mental note to come back to this place sometime if needed. They were sitting in a quiet corner, near the windows so they could see a nicely decorated yard.

"This place looks so beautiful," Meredith noticed.
"So do you," Derek said gently, flashing her his smile.
"Thank you" she couldn't help but smile. She loved and hated the way he could make her feel. "It's getting late, I think we should get going." Even though Meredith was enjoying every moment with him, she thought she was enjoying it too much.
"Alright," disappointment was evident in his voice. He didn't want the evening to end just yet.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It was late in the evening, the sun was already set. Meredith and Derek were sitting in comfortable silence in his car. He was bringing her back to her hotel room, because that's where he picked her up from. They were sitting in comfortable silence, the radio playing in the background.

"I can not believe that Clash is actually your favorite band." Meredith laughed.
"It's The Clash and I don't see what's so funny about this," he said, smiling.
"I don't know, I just didn't think people were still listening to that."
"Right. So, what do you listen to?"
"Nothing in particular. I do like some of Taylor Swift's songs. Her lyricism is perfect."
"Yeah, I've heard of her. Not really my type though."

♫︎ Gray November, I've been down since July ♫︎

"Oh, It's one of her songs," she exclaimed excitedly as Evermore by Taylor Swift came on. "I love this one. It's a beautiful song. Just listen to it..." she said and leaned her head on the window.

♫︎ And I was catching my breath
Staring out an open window
Catching my death
And I couldn't be sure
I had a feeling so peculiar
That this pain would be for evermore... ♫︎

"It's depressing," he said after a while.
"Wait for it..." she whispered, almost impossible for him to hear.

♫︎ I had a feeling so peculiar this pain wouldn't be for evermore... ♫︎

"Wow. It is a beautiful song." He said as he let out a deep breath.
"Yeah" she sighed, not saying anything.
"Penny for your thoughts." He said as he looked over at her. She looked stunning. She was peacefully sitting next to him, looking out of the window.
"It's just..." She looked back at him. Although he couldn't see it clearly, he could feel there was a tear rolling down her cheek. "I wish to find that kind of peace. The kind that person finds at the end of the song. I want to know that all of the pain was worth it, that someday it won't hurt as much." She stopped talking, tears falling from her eyes.
He immediately pulled over. He put his hand on her face, caressing her cheek. "It will stop hurting. Someday it will stop hurting. All you gotta do is believe." He whispered kissing her forehead... and eyes... and cheeks... and her lips. It was soft, sweet, and reassuring. It was perfect. At that moment everything was perfect. They felt perfect, finding comfort in each other's presence. She placed her head in the crook of his neck and he kissed her forehead.
"I'm sorry. We were having so much fun and I ruined our date." She said.
"It was perfect, you didn't ruin anything." He said as he kissed her forehead again. "I know this one place. I go there every time I feel down. It has a very beautiful view. Wanna go there? It might make you feel better." He added.
"Okay. But can we stay like this for a little longer?" she asked as she moved as close to him as car seats would allow.
"For as long as you want" he murmured as he breathed the scent of her hair in. "We can stay like this for evermore," he thought.

To be continued...

So what do you think? Let me know in the comments!

Also, listen to evermore by TS it's a beautiful song(a little depressing but still).

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed! ❤️