safe & sound

It was late in the evening when Amelia finally woke up. She decided to unpack. She knew she'd be too lazy to do it later if she procrastinated. She unpacked everything and went to Mer's room to check on her. When she walked into her room, she saw her laying in her bed with her eyes closed, but she knew she hadn't slept. She heard whimpers coming out of her room earlier. She wanted to help her but didn't know how to.

"Mer" she softly said as she stepped closer to her bed, closing the door behind her. She sat down next to her, putting her hand on her shoulder. Meredith slowly opened her eyes. They were still puffy from crying. "You can't lay in bed if you're not sleeping. You'll become more depressed if it's possible. Get up, we should eat something, and then you should unpack." She tried to get her out of bed.

"I'm tired, Amy." She wasn't lying. She was tired. She hadn't slept well the night before, she didn't sleep on the plane or at home, so she was dried out of energy.

"Okay, I'll help you. But you have to unpack too. I'm not letting cry all day." Amelia jumped up from bed, grabbing Meredith's suitcase. "Start unpacking, I'm going downstairs. I'll be here in a few minutes with food." She told her as she walked out of the room.

Meredith lazily got out of bed. She unzipped the suitcase and started taking out clothes and putting them in her drawer. Amelia walked in with two plates of mac and cheese, handing one to Mer.

"Eat mer and then go to sleep, I'll unpack the rest." She told her as she finished her meal, getting up to continue unpacking. She was almost done when she noticed another compartment in the suitcase. She opened it, finding some of her stuff there. She took everything out, noticing one shirt that didn't belong to Mer.

"Who's is this?" She asked. Meredith remained silent, her expression changing as she stopped eating and put her plate on the nightstand. Amelia folded it and put it on Mer's bed, realizing who's it was. "Alright, I'm all done here. I'll take this, you go to sleep." She told her, grabbing her plate.

Meredith sat quietly for a minute. She turned her head to look at the shirt, his shirt. She took it in her hands, slowly bringing it closer to her face, smelling it. It still smelled like him. She remembered when she stole his shirt and how he teased her about it. She missed him. Even if she hated the feeling, she missed him more than she could take, so she allowed herself to give in to the feeling just this once. She took off her clothes, putting on his shirt. She layed in bed, her hands wrapped around her body, pretending that they were his. It felt real, almost like he was there with her. It didn't take much time for her to drift off. She was exhausted, emotionally and physically. She missed his touch and now she was feeling some of his comfort, so it was easier for her to sleep.

She was woken up a few hours later. It was still dark outside. She turned on the lamp on the nightstand. She realized it was the knock on the door that woke her up. She had no idea who it could've been, but she was half asleep, she didn't give it much thought as she walked down the stairs. She walked up to the door, seeing a familiar face through the glass. She'd know those blue eyes anywhere, even in the darkest night. She stood there frozen, thinking she was still dreaming, but it was real. It was very much real and she didn't know how to act. Meredith Grey was determined to run. She practically invented running. But at this moment her legs wouldn't let her. She didn't have anywhere to run, anyway. She knew he'd find her even at the end of the world, their souls would reunite to become one.

Derek stood on the other side of the glass door.  They both remained silent, never breaking eye contact as if they were frozen in time. Their eyes were filled with tears. She couldn't wait any longer, she pulled the door handle, opening it.

"I couldn't sleep" he mumbled as they stood face to face each other, " I couldn't sleep."

She stepped closer to him, grabbing his face with her hands. They melted in each other's embrace as their lips found their way to each other, tears streaming down their faces.

"I couldn't sleep either." She told him as their lips parted. Their noses and foreheads were slightly touching.

"I love you." He whispered. "I am so in love with you. And I just can't think about anything or anybody. And I can't sleep. I can't eat. I can't breathe. And I love you. I just... I love you all the time, every minute of every day. I don't know what I did so well in my life to deserve you. The day I met you, I was drowning in pain and you saved me, and you've been saving me every day since. I can't lose you, Mer. I won't survive. Even if that means I have to move here, I'm gonna do it. Because I can't imagine my life without you anymore. You make me complete. You make my life complete." He pulled her body closer to his as he said this, tightly wrapping his arms around her frame.

"I love you too Derek. I love you so much, but you can't just move here. Your family is in new york, your home is in new york." She told him, doubts creeping into her mind.

"You're my family Mer. You're my home. I didn't find my home until I met you." He kissed her nose, then her forehead as she hid her face in the crook of his neck.

"Even if I'm a mess? Even if I'm the type of crazy person that feels bad for serial killers?"

"Even if you are the serial killer." He told her, making her laugh. Her laughter turned into crying as she finally let the emotion take over her. He promised to move to Seattle for her. She wouldn't have to lose him. She could still wake up in his arms and hear how much he loves her every day. "It's okay Mer, I'm here. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere." He reassured her, kissing the top of her head. "We should go inside, you're getting cold." He suggested as he run his hand up and down her back.

"Okay." She agreed. She didn't want to let go of his body just yet, so he picked her up as she wrapped her legs around his waist. His hands wrapped around her waist, her hands - around his neck as she rested her chin on his shoulder. He walked into the house, helping her lock the door before they went upstairs.

"Which way?" he asked. She told him the directions to her room. They walked into the room. He put her down next to her bed.

"Mer, are you wearing my shirt?" He asked, looking at her in the dim light of the lamp.

"Yeah." She just remembered that she fell asleep in his shirt.

"You stole my shirt."

"I told you, it's not your shirt anymore, remember? It's mine now. It's comfy and smells like you."

"Did you sleep in my shirt because you missed me?" He asked, stepping closer to her.

"Yeah." She whispered as she felt his hot breath on her face. He didn't waste a second, he softly grabbed her face, locking their lips.

"I love you, Meredith Grey." He told her, his words filling a hole in her heart. She was hypnotized by the mellow tone of his voice.

"I love you too Derek. I. love. you." She told him, emphasizing each word.

They smiled at each other, not knowing what to do. They just loved each other, that's all they knew. Everything other in the world had lost its meaning. All that mattered was that they were together.

"We should sleep Mer." He told her, stepping closer to bed, her hand in his. He let her lay down first, then he layed down next to her, spooning her from behind.

"Goodnight love." He told her, kissing her cheek.

"Goodnight." She told him, taking his hand in between hers.

They immediately drifted off to sleep, having nothing but love for each other. They were securely wrapped in each other's embrace, and that was enough for them to know that they were safe and sound.

Thank you for reading, hope you enjoyed it! 💗

Messing with you was so funny, I wanted to go on with it but I decided not to be so cruel, plus I'm so in love with merder, I needed to put end to their misery✨

Also me casually using slexie, kaimelia and marina quotes 💗

Thanks everyone who leaves comments and suggestions, and votes, it means a lot to me! Btw I really liked some of your suggestions but I've been planning this for a while now and I wanted to stick to the plan. I really like how it turned out! 🦋

Leave thoughts and suggestions here, I'm not sure what comes next, so anything could be helpful! ✨

Thank you again for all the love and support, it truly means the world to me! 💗