Sparks Fly

There they were again. Sitting close to each other, but this time they were sitting on the top of the car instead of car seats, looking over the most spectacular view they've ever seen.

It was late at night. They had no better place to be other than next to each other. Derek had brought her to the place he promised her would make her feel better and he was right. She didn't know if it was fresh air, a beautiful view, or his company, but it was working. Heavy thoughts had lifted from her shoulders and she was feeling more hopeful than before.

"This view's spectacular. Thank you for bringing me here. It really helped." She smiled at him as she let herself breathe in some fresh air.

"I'm glad you're feeling better." He smiled back at her. "I love this place. My dad used to bring me here when I was little. I remember the first time he brought me here so clearly. I was in third grade. I had a big fight with my classmates. I was so mad at everyone for having their back, even though they were wrong. I didn't know what to do with all that sadness and anger, so he brought me here. I don't know what's it about this place, but it brings me peace. When he died, I felt so much sadness, and so much anger. I needed to come here, and there was no one to bring me, because he was gone."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that. It must've been so hard for you." she looked at him sympathetically as he took his hand in hers, slowly caressing it, bringing him a sense of comfort. He looked at her with admiration. He loved the way she could immediately bring him comfort.

"It was, but I always believed that he was always with me, you know, like he's always been around, protecting mom and all of us." She smiled as he said this.

"So you believe in that? That there might be life after death?" she asked carefully.

"I don't know, but I find it comforting. Don't you?" He said as he squeezed her hand.

"Yeah. I guess." She whispered. "I've always been a firm believer that human life ends with the body, but a few years ago... Okay, you might think I'm crazy. I almost drowned once and my heart had stopped for a while. I had some kind of an experience. I saw all the dead people I knew, and then I saw my mother. Then, when I woke up, I found out she had died. I know it's weird and you're thinking I'm crazy now, but it felt real."
"Maybe it was real. I mean, it had to be. The rest of it could've been some kind of a dream but there was no way for you to know that your mother had died, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, then it was real. And maybe it's real for me too. Maybe my father is watching us, all the time, telling us what to do and don't do." He said as he looked her in the eyes.

"You're one of those people." She smiled at him. He looked at her confused. "Those people who believe in miracles," she said to clear up his confusion.

"Oh, I guess." He smiled at her. "I believe that it's a miracle that I'm sitting here, next to the most beautiful woman on the entire planet." He said genuinely. She didn't know what to say, she just smiled as she looked into his eyes. "You know, when I realized you were Amelia's best friend," he started, caressing her hand, "my first thought wasn't that I slept with my sister's best friend. My first thought was the amazing woman I met wasn't amazing just because she's beautiful and sweet, it's also that she's strong and kind and caring, and has helped my sister through the worst parts of her life.  And I know all of those things because Amelia told me the stories about you and your parents and everything you've been through. You... You amaze me. And if you want this... And if you feel this too... I'm all in." He said with so much determination in his voice, that it made her heart squeeze. She didn't expect him to be this sincere with her. She was at a loss for words, so she didn't say anything. She leaned her head on his shoulder as he wrapped his hand around her back.