Chapter Twenty

Eddie's POV

"Hello?" I answer a bit groggy.

"Can you...come over.... please?" I hear her sniffle. It's Monica. She's crying. She is crying really hard.

"I'll be there in ten minutes." I say hanging up the phone and grabbing my keys as fast as I could.

I shouldn't bedriving right now, but she needs me. I'm a bit nervous about seeing her because of the condition I'm in. I get over myself fast because Monica needs me.

I ache on the drive there. I'm driving faster than I should be, but I'm worried about her.

I finally make it to her house, and I knock on the front door. There is no answer, so I let myself in. I open the door to an empty house all the furniture is gone. I walk slowly through the lower level of the house trying to find her. I hear her cries from the living room, so I head there.

There she is on the floor crying her heart out. The second she sees me she gets up and rushes to hug me. I groan from the pain the tight hug causes me.

"Sweets what happened tell me what's wrong?" I say through the pain. She notices and takes a step back from me. It's not what I want but it does make me feel a little bit better.

"Eddie...I'm...sorry...I didn't mean to...hurt you." She says crying even harder. She had heard what happened.

"Baby it's ok. Tell me what happened why are you so upset?" I ask again hoping for an answer this time.

She's crying too hard to speak so she just hands me the paper that she's been holding in her hand.

Monica,

Since you're now 18 you are no longer our responsibility. We do not feel the need to take care of you anymore. You were never going to be as successful as us and we found that embarrassing to our family name. We decided to sell this house. That is the only reason we came back to Hawkins in the first place. You have one week to get all your belongings and find somewhere else to stay. We have taken everything except for the things in your room. There are also a few boxes in the attic that are yours. Please do not try to find or contact us. We no longer want to associate with you.

Mom and Dad

What the actual fuck I think to myself. How can they say all that and then have the audacity to end it with "Mom and Dad"? This instantly infuriates me. Why do they treat her like this? She is the definition of an angel.

I crumple and throw the paper on the ground I don't want her looking at it anymore. I pull her into a hug. I don't care how much it hurts me she needs it right now.

"Monica baby, I'm so sorry. You deserve so much better than this." I whisper into her ear while running my hand through her hair trying to calm her down.

"I don't know where to go." She says slowing her cries a bit.

Before I can even think I just blurt out "Stay with me."

She's shocked a bit by what I say, but I mean it. I would love for her to stay with me. Unless she would prefer to stay with Steve who might be the better option.

"Eddie I'd have to bring all of my stuff." She says.

"I'd do anything for you baby. Please stay with me. Then I'll know you're safe and being treated right." I say to her. It comes off more as a plead, but I don't really care. It's true.

"Eddie I should be the one worrying about if you're safe or not. Look at you. How did you even get here? You should be in bed. I'm sorry. I should never have called you." She says starting to shake her head and walk away from me towards the stairs.