Chapter Eighteen

Monica's POV

Steve and I decide to go to a movie and dinner tonight since we didn't go on Tuesday. He drops me off at home after school so I can pack my bag for the weekend and get ready for our date tonight. I pack an outfit for Saturday and an outfit for Sunday. I go to pack Eddie's hoodie to sleep in and realize I can't do that. I put the hoodie back on my bed and just grab shorts and a big shirt to sleep in instead. I go to my closet to find an outfit for tonight. I want to go more casual since we're going to be going to the movies.

I put on a light wash pair of baggy jeans and cuff the bottom. I throw on my navy and red striped sweater and a belt to pull together the outfit. Then I throw on my trusty black converse. They will work with all the outfits I have planned for this weekend.

I take my bag downstairs to be greeted by my parents.

"Where are you going?" my mom asks sternly.

"I already told you guys I'm staying with Nancy this weekend." I say with a little too much attitude.

"I didn't ask for the attitude Monica." She scolds.

"I'm sorry." I say while turning to set my bag down, so they don't see me roll my eyes.

"What are you doing at this Nancy's house all weekend?" I dad asks

"We're hanging out for my birthday. Ya know the thing that comes around every year."

"We know when your birthday is Monica." My dad spits.

"Do you because you both always seem to forget." I hear Steve knock on the front door. Thank god he's got great timing. "Now I'm going to go and spend this weekend with someone who actually cares about my birthday." I spit at both of them.

I grab my bag and rush out the door before they even have a chance to say anything. Steve walks us to the car and opens my door.

"Steve, you have great timing." I say exhaling finally.

"Why? What going on?"

"Just my parents being a pain in my ass for no reason."

"I'm sorry Mo. Just try and forget about them this weekend and have a good time." He says grabbing my hand and smiling at me.

"Sounds perfect babe." I say leaning over to kiss his cheek. "So where are we going to eat?"

"This diner in town. It has the best food I've ever had. I swear." He says too excited causing me to laugh.

We get to the diner and find a booth. I prefer booths because they have a bit more privacy. Steve and I both get burgers and fries to eat, and a milkshake to share. He was right this was some of the best food I'd ever had.

"Ok Steve I have to give it to you. This is some of the best food I have ever had." I say wiping the corner of my mouth with my napkin.

"I told you. It's great!" He almost yells. I laugh at him again.

We sit there laughing and talking for an hour. We get to know each other on a deeper level. I find out Steve's parents go out of town sometimes too, and that when they are home it's a lot of arguing just like my house. We talk about what we want to do with our lives. Steve wants to play basketball. I've never seen him play but I assume he's pretty good.

I look down at my watch and realize the time.

"Oh my gosh Steve the movie starts in ten minutes. We have to hurry if we want to make it!" I say grabbing my bag and going to stand up.

"Let's miss the movie. Let's just sit here and keep talking. I'm having a great time." He says smiling at me.

"I'm having a great time too." I say sitting back down at the table.