Chapter Seventeen

Monica's POV

It's been two days now since my whole incident with Eddie. I haven't seen or heard from him so he must really be done with me. I've had to act like it doesn't affect me. Steve and I have been attached at the hip though. We have been getting closer and closer helping push the thought of Eddie to the back of my mind. I do find it a little odd that I haven't seen him at school. I don't know how common it is for him to skip school.

Steve and I had a date planned for after school today. We were going to go out for dinner and a movie. I was excited for our date, but it was causing today to go slow. I was on my way to fifth period, and I was hearing whispers about Eddie. I stop at my locker to swap out a couple of my books and Nancy comes up to me.

"Oh my god Monica did you hear about what happened to the freak?" she asks almost in a whisper.

"You mean Eddie?" I ask almost a little defensively.

"Yeah. One of his drug deals went bad and someone beat him to a pulp. He's in the hospital right now."

"Oh my god."

"I know. It's crazy. I guess that's what you get when you do that kind of stuff though. Anyways I'll see you in seventh period." She says smiling and walking off.

I don't even think I just shove all my stuff in my locker and book it out of the school. I walk to the closest bus station and take the bus to the hospital.

All the way to the hospital all I could think about was if he was ok and what happened to him. Or if maybe it was my fault.

The bus finally stops in front of the hospital, and I almost knock three people over just trying to get off the bus and into the hospital.

I get into the hospital and up to the front desk.

"I'm here to see Eddie." I say panicking

'I need a last name please." The receptionist says without even looking up.

That's when I realize I never got his last name. I only ever got his first name.

"We just met last week so I don't know his last name, but I just want to make sure he is ok." I say looking down and fiddling with my thumbs.

"I'm sorry honey but since you aren't family, I can't let you in."

"That's ok I understand. Is there a bathroom I can use before I get back on the bus?" I sigh

"Yes, just down the hall and to the right."

"Ok thank you." I say

I walk down the hall and take the right where she instructed, but I walk right past the bathroom and towards the sign on the wall at the end of the hallway. I take a random guess and head towards the recovery floor. I get in the elevator and head to the fourth floor.

I make it to the fourth floor and head towards the desk.

'Hi, my cousin Eddie is here he came in after being beaten up?" I ask hoping this lady will help

"Room 418 on the left honey." She said without even looking up.

I don't waste my chance I almost sprint down the hall trying to find room 418. I race down the hall searching the rooms for Eddie.

418 there it is. I was moving so fast that I almost passed the room. I stop and run in there shutting the door behind me.

There he is laying there in the bed asleep. He looks horrible. His face is all beaten and is arms are bruised. I feel my eyes start to water. Seeing him like this hurts my heart. I walk towards the end of his bed to read what the chart had to say.