Chapter Thirty Six

The defendant has been found guilty

Those words echoed in my head as panic clawed through my throat. I stayed rooted to my seat, helplessly watching the prosecution exit the courtroom along with the judge and the jury. Only Ralph and Rupert stayed behind, a malicious glint in their eyes as reporters moved past them, waiting outside for the press conference that I had promised them.

"Gianna." There was a hand on my shoulder as I turned to face the owner of the voice. "Snap out of it. We cannot waste anymore time." Esme said brusquely as her words awakened the fighter in me.

Like fuck I was going to let Sergio down by not fighting for him - especially when he had spent so many months fighting for us.

"We have to file a plea. The judge said that they're only taking him into custody which means that he'll be under police custody for the next 48 hours - at least until the judge makes the verdict final." I rambled as I stood up, making my way towards the two men waiting for me. "You guys go back to the office. I'll meet you there once I'm done with these two."

I didn't wait for the answer, but the click of the door was enough to let me know that they had left as I stalked towards my rivals, like a woman on a mission.

"How may I help you, gentlemen?"

"Shame that your boyfriend's in jail, no?"

"He's only under temporary custody until further notice." I corrected Ralph as his face twisted into an ugly sneer.

"You think you're so mighty just because you're a lawyer." Rupert started from beside him as fury pulsed through my veins. "But the fact remains that you're just a woman. And you thought you could threaten me by leaking certain pictures." He scoffed, the both of them sharing a smile.

"I still have them." I said easily, masking the uneasiness that I was feeling inside. There was definitely something going on between these two. "I could still ruin your career with those images."

"Try checking your servers, sweetheart." This time it was Ralph who spoke up. "They might or might not have been wiped off the system. And don't even think about the physical ones. You and I both know that Rupert's face is hidden and could easily pass as any other man's."

I managed to control my temper by taking a deep breath before speaking in a controlled voice.

"For someone who preaches about following the law, you sure have a lot of illegal ways of getting around it."

"Says the woman who's siding with a criminal." They both cackled as if he'd cracked a joke as I fought not to punch them in their ugly faces.

After all, who would fight for Sergio's case if I was in jail beside him?