Chapter Twenty Three

Gianna climbed back into my bed, albeit a bit hesitantly, before draping the comforter over her naked body

"Do you uh need something to wear?" I asked as I scratched my head.

"Sure." She replied simply with a small smile as I went to retrieve one of my favorite t-shirts from my closet.

"Here."

She took it from my hands before pulling it over her head. That was the moment I decided that I quite liked the view of Gianna in my bed, only wearing my t-shirt.

She pulled the covers on her body again before keeping a healthy bit of distance between the both of us. As expected, her walls had gone back up again after sex. Maybe it was time that I started showing her how sorry I was through actions rather than just words. With that thought in my mind, I turned off the lights before sliding in beside her.

"You can come closer, you know? I don't bite. That is, unless you ask me to." I joked as she huffed out a breath of air amusedly.

"Don't I know it." She replied though she closed the distance, only an inch of space between us now.

I didn't want her to push her too much, too soon - even I knew that this was more than what I had asked for.

"So..." I started, "tell me about everything I've missed out. What's changed?"

There was complete silence in the room before she broke it, curiosity coloring her tone.

"Why the sudden interrogation now? Are we playing seven questions?" She chuckled as soon as the question was out of her mouth, as if the thought of that was simply ridiculous.

"Why not." I shrugged in the dark, before turning on my side to face her.

The dim light from outside crept in through the gap in the blinds, illuminating a part of Gianna's face. Even in the dark, I could see how beautiful she was. Beautiful in a broken way. She was the epitome of strength, never backing down from a challenge while working her ass off to provide for herself. To be there for herself in a way that no one had been there for her before.

"Well, alright." She conceded before mimicking my position. "I'll ask first."

"Shoot." I murmured as she lifted her head on her elbow.

"Why haven't you had sex in three years?"

Well damn if she wasn't going straight in for the kill. I decided to go with the truth because I was honestly done with hiding things under the impression of protecting her. Going forward, I would tell her the truth - even if it was bitter. I sure as hell wasn't going to repeat the same mistakes that had led me to be a puppet on strings and lose the woman I loved. If there was one thing I had learnt ever since losing her, then it was that you couldn't constantly shield your loved ones from the harsh realities of life. You confided in them instead and stood by their side, preparing them for the worst of situations.