Chapter Six

Fuck

Fuck. Fuck. Shit. I was so fucking late to work today. Caught between going through the tape yesterday and seeing Sergio's face in the news, I had barely gotten even a wink of sleep as I tossed and turned the whole night. His face had haunted me for the past three years, my heart cracking a little more at the thought of what we had. But it had healed. At least I thought so - until now. Seeing that ruggedly handsome face again on the screen had my mind taking me back to the few months that we had spent together in Italy. I had never anticipated that I'd ever fall so hard for a man that was supposed to be untouchable for me. A criminal, most of all. It was never in my plan to fall for him. But I had. And I'd been woken up from the dream only to come crashing back down to reality within an instant. Harsh.

But that was besides the point. All this time, I had thought that I was finally over him. That maybe I'd find somebody else that would share a greater love with me. Although I wasn't banking on it, which was why I'd started hooking up and keeping it casual with guys. I honestly didn't understand myself sometimes. A part of me wanted that intimacy of being with a partner again, but the other part - that part that had burned because of love - wanted nothing to do with that four letter or the male species in general again.

Raising a hand to my head, I made sure that there weren't any flyaways. I hadn't gotten any time to properly style my hair, which is why I'd thrown it in a simple high ponytail. Fuck Sergio and fuck Ted Bundy for ruining a perfectly good night's sleep. Like I said, men were the root cause of all problems - or at least most problems.

I sped up my walk as my pumps smacked on the ground, my breathing coming out faster. Pulling out my Oyster card from my purse, I straightened before scanning it on the yellow reader. The machine let out a small beep as I passed through, my feet aching from the brisk walk. Within a few minutes, I boarded the London Underground as I settled down into one of the empty seats. My eyes wavered around the tube as I took in the several people in it. Becoming a lawyer had no doubt made me more observant which meant that I usually liked to play a game with myself during the solo journey to and from work. My gaze settled on a lady that was dressed in a pantsuit, her hair tied back with a middle part. Well, she definitely looked like she worked higher up in an office. An accountant perhaps. I took in the speed at which she was typing on her phone, her gaze constantly straying to the laptop perched on the seat beside her. Yep, definitely a workaholic.

I heard a cough right opposite me as the man in front of me hacked his chest. Right as I was about to look away, he met my eyes before his teeth widened into a grin, showing off his yellowing and barely there teeth. Gross. His eyes flitted down to my top, trying to take a peek into my cleavage. I sent him a glare before turning sideways and looking the other way. Fucking perv. Men like him deserved to have their eyeballs pulled out.

The mechanic voice of a female rung in the background as she announced the destination's name. Knowing that I had at least a couple of more minutes before it was time to get up, I relaxed in my seat as I whooshed out an exhale. Life had been fucking stressful lately. Add to that adulting and getting shit done by yourself and you had a complete mess. There were times when I felt the urge to pick up my phone and tell Mum to come and pick me up. But that wouldn't do. I was a grown ass woman now. I had my own apartment. I had a well paying job. The days of being a sheltered only child were over. What wouldn't I give to get those days back again. Actually, scratch that. I didn't want those days back. At least not my school days. Those were a fucking nightmare, honestly.