Chapter Twenty Six

I could pinpoint the exact moment when Gianna's mossy green eyes hardened to a glare

I could pinpoint the exact moment when Gianna's mossy green eyes hardened to a glare. My gaze followed hers as it locked onto a redhead, the diamonds on her neck gleaming even in the light of the courtroom. Fucking gold digger. My mood instantly soured as I looked back to Gianna, surprised to see no resemblance of shock on her face.

"You knew?" I whispered harshly in her ear as she finally tore her eyes away from the women on the other side, both a bane of my existence.

"I didn't have time to tell you. You weren't home the whole day yesterday."

My heart thumped weirdly in my chest as I chose to ignore the fact that she now referred to my bachelor pad as home.

"A warning would have been nice." I muttered as she shot me an apologetic look, unable to say anything else as the judge started speaking.

Carla waved her fingers at me tauntingly from the other side of the room where she sat beside Eleonora. The prosecutor stood up to give his opening statement as my eyes latched onto his form, the need to beat his pretty face up extremely strong. I hadn't needed Gianna to spell it out for me to know that the creep made her uncomfortable. I had spotted the relief on her face when I entered the room, acting as a shield between my woman and him, as I warned him off subtly by showing him the pocket knife that the security at the front had missed out on during their check. That little shit had nearly pissed her pants before putting up a front of false bravado before fleeing the scene. If I found out that he had even laid a hand on Gianna, his death would be the next sure thing on my agenda - something really worth going to jail for rather than the murder of my father which I hadn't committed.

Before I could catch up on what was going on, Gianna strode up to the podium to say something briefly, my focus on her before she came back to sit beside me.

"He's going to call his witnesses now after which I'll get to cross question them. And the same thing will happen with you, alright?"

"I know how this goes, Gianna." I whispered softly but reassuringly. "You've told me a dozen times already by now, remember? I might as well be a law student with the extensive amount of coaching you've given me." I joked as the judge called the prosecutor to bring forth the first witness.

I could feel the waves of anger rolling off of Gianna as Carla's name was called out, knowing that this was as much personal to her as it was to me. Dio, I couldn't wait to see what my girl had in store for that woman. I tuned out Ralph as he started out with basic questions like what her name was, how she was related to me and where she was the night of Bruno's murder. Within a few moments, Gianna was in front of Carla while Ralph took his seat, gesturing something to his witness.

"Miss Russo, as questioned previously by Mr Nelson, you were present the night of Bruno Agosta's murder. Is that right?"

"It is." Carla replied snootily, acting as if Gianna was a piece of gum stuck to her heels, rather than a reputed lawyer who was damn good at her job.