Chapter Three

"I'm calling off the engagement

"I'm calling off the engagement."

I was met with stunned silence as all three Russos stared at me wide eyed. Now that Bruno was dead, they knew that they didn't stand a chance against me. I was a free man. A man that was ready to leave the past behind and hopefully look forward to a brighter future.

"Now Sergio, mio figlio, we can talk about this later on. No need to make such a hasty decision."

A bead of sweat rolled down Tommaso's forehead as he wrung his hands together on his lap.

"This is not a hasty decision. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I never wanted this alliance but out of respect for Bruno's wishes, I complied."

Lie. I complied because otherwise, the only thing - the only person - that truly made me happy would have been dead by now.

"I'm sure we can talk about this later. You don't mean it right now, understandably so since your father's -

My patience wore thin as I abruptly got out of my seat, my gun poised at his forehead.

"One more word out of that filthy mouth of yours and I won't hesitate to put a bullet through your thick skull." I paused for effect before shooting him a smile. "Are we clear, Tommaso?"

His face clenched in fury before he turned it into a mask of acceptance.

"Of course."

Tommaso was breathing hard as his eyes tracked the movement of my gun, watching as I tucked it into my waistband.

"Good. Just know that if you utter a single word against me, you wife and daughter just might have to see your body floating in la fiume Salso someday."

Without waiting for a response, I turned back to a smirking Luca who had been watching the whole exchange with glee. Luca had never been a fan of the Russos - not even when I had been dating Carla. But he had started hating them even more since Tommaso and Bruno had single handedly managed to ruin my relationship with Gianna.

Apart from Bruno and Luca, nobody knew the real reason why I had broken up with Gianna. As far as everybody else was concerned, things hadn't worked out between us. Nonna had immediately called bullshit on that the moment I spurted out the lie. She definitely knew that there was something more to it. But she never pressed the issue further. Because honestly, what was the point in that? The damage had already been done.

"Sergio." Carla called out as Luca and I stepped into the foyer, ready to get out of the house.

I sent her a bored look as she reached out for my arm just as I pulled it away from her. For a second, hurt flashed over her face before she covered it up with her usual bitchy expression.

"You didn't mean what you said to Papa. You're obviously hurt and I understand that. But you love me. You always have and you always will. You never loved that cagna brittanica. That's why you left her, no?"