Chapter Sixteen

I quietly followed Sergio upstairs, torn between telling him that he wasn't my boss and the genuine care in his voice

I quietly followed Sergio upstairs, torn between telling him that he wasn't my boss and the genuine care in his voice. Just as I was about to close the door of the guest bedroom, Sergio jammed his food in the doorway before pushing it all the way open.

"I'll find whoever sent that note. I promise they won't even harm a hair on your head." He said lowly as a shiver wracked up my spine.

"I know." I said softly before asking him the question that had been nagging my mind for a while. "Why are they after you anyways? Why send cryptic notes?"

Sergio ran a frustrated hand through his hair before carefully contemplating his next few words.

"It seems like someone's just out to get me. What with framing me for Bruno's murder and now targeting my weaknesses."

"Your weaknesses?"

"Yeah. Like you. You're my weakness. And whoever it is that's playing with me, knows it." He replied carefully, gauging my reaction to his response.

"I see." I said evenly, not wanting to feel my heart clench at his heartfelt reply and deciding to change the topic. "But why would they frame you for the murder? Why not someone else?"

"Because this person knew my plan beforehand, supposedly it seems. So he or she must have thought that it would be clever to take me down in my own game and eventually make a mess." He said darkly as my eyes widened in realisation.

"You mean...you planned to kill your own father?"

He jerked his head in a nod as my hands gripped the doorframe. But...why would Sergio want to kill his own father in cold blood? That was crazy, right?

"Why?" The question came out softer than intended as Sergio's eyes drilled holes into my own.

Without breaking eye contact, he said the two words that I would have never expected to come out of his mouth. "For you."

Without giving me a second to process his answer, he turned his back to me.

"Buona notte, mia gioia. Sleep tight. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

I was left with my mouth gaping open as I heard the soft click of a door, before proceeding to do the same myself. I think some sleep was in order based on the crazy day that I'd had so far. I'd deal with the emotions that I currently didn't want to dissect in the way I usually did - by bottling it up and never dealing with it.

***

I awoke and trudged downstairs, obviously in a much happier mood from last night - obviously because I was going back to my own apartment.

"Hey, are you..." I trailed off as the sight of a half naked Sergio rendered me speechless.

It seemed like I had forgotten just how sculpted he was under all those suits. In fact, he had gotten bigger since the last time that I had seen him. My cheeks flushed as my gaze unabashedly roamed over his torso, the scars and ridges evident from the several times that he had gotten shot or stabbed at. I carefully traced his toned abs with my eyes before I dropped them down to his sweatpants. Immediately, I snapped my gaze back to his face, not wanting to linger on how his nether region was slowly tenting up. No. Nope. Definitely not thinking about Sergio and his dick. His very, very big dick.