Chapter One

Actions have consequences

Actions have consequences. That was one of the hardest fucking lessons I ever had to learn in all 33 years of my life. I had learnt it when I had made the biggest mistake by letting Gianna - the only woman that I had ever loved - go. I hadn't been the same ever since. I had been lonely before her, only hiding behind the facade of a charming gentleman because I didn't want everybody to see the ugly truth - the broken boy that hid inside. But Gianna taught me that it was okay to be broken. It was okay to hurt. It was okay to grieve people who were supposed to give a shit about you but didn't. And I hadn't fought for her. I had allowed her to think that she didn't mean anything to me. I don't think I've ever regretted a single decision in my life. Except for the decision I made three years ago. The consequences of that decision being that I was the one who was slowly rotting away. Slowly losing all of the life that Gianna had so painstakingly breathed into me.

I let out a heavy sigh as I stared at myself in the mirror - a very haggard and exhausted version of myself. The dark circles under my eyes were prominent along with the constant headaches that never seemed to leave me. Lately, it seemed like that's all I was doing. Staring at myself and regretting everything. And then Luca would see me wallowing in self pity before he dragged me outside for a smoke and to talk things out. In the beginning, I had hope. Hope that somehow Bruno would change his mind. That he'd call off the farce that he called an engagement. But he didn't.

A few weeks after Gianna had left, I had decided to fly out to London to see her. To tell her everything. To let her know what a fool I had been to let her go without a fight. And to hopefully find a way to make us work against the odds. But for some reason, Bruno found out. He threatened me by saying that if I dared to see her again, her head would be delivered to me in a pretty box. But of course, I called his bluff. I shouldn't have underestimated him.

Two years ago, I was in Vittoria Ricci's apartment complex when the doors to the elevator opened. The sight in front of me had me thinking that that was a bad nightmare - because that's what it seemed like. Because there was no way that Bruno would actually go through with his threat. That he'd actually kill Gianna and deliver her to me in a box - in a fucking elevator. I had dropped to my knees when I'd seen blonde hair splayed out in the metal box, blood gushing out of her chest. Plucking up the courage, I turned over her body only to find out that it wasn't my Gianna. It was someone else. Was it wrong that I felt relieved that Bruno had decided to target an innocent woman that resembled the love of my life? Probably. But at that moment, I couldn't even find it in me to be guilty. All I knew was that Bruno Agpsta had just signed his own death warrant. I knew that I'd have to tread very carefully when it came to him after that. Every step of mine would be tracked. Every move would have to be calculated. Every plan had to be flawlessly executed. And that's what I had been doing for the past three years. I had been slowly but steadily building allies, gaining power because it wasn't easy to get rid of a man who practically had the entire Cosa Nostra under his thumb - I was simply the Capo for namesake, but his word was the last. Nobody ever said that killing a man of power, your own father, would be easy. But nobody said that it was impossible either.