Chapter Twelve

I watched silently as Gianna covered the short distance to the office building, leaving me stuck in my own car for the second time in the past 24 hours

I watched silently as Gianna covered the short distance to the office building, leaving me stuck in my own car for the second time in the past 24 hours. Clenching my fists, I tried to keep my anger in check as I turned to look at Luca.

"Keep the car ready when I call you. I'll be back soon." I directed those words at him in a clipped tone before straightening my suit and stepping out of the car.

I had gotten so close to her. Not just physically, but emotionally as well. This was the closest that I had gotten since we had met two days ago. So close to finally breaking down those high walls of hers. The one time that she had allowed me to see her vulnerable side. How conflicted she was about this. She wanted to let me in but she was scared. Scared that I'd hurt her and break her heart again. If I was a selfless man, I would've let her go. But that was the problem. I wasn't a selfless man - I was very, very selfish, especially when it came to my woman. But then, offuckingcourse, Luca the idiot had to go and ruin everything. Fucking Luca and his inability to read the room.

Cazzo di merda. I had to get it together right fucking now. Steeling myself, I put on the same charismatic mask that charmed everybody's pants off before I strode towards the reception. The same woman was at the desk, typing away, but she looked up when she saw me enter. With one eyebrow quirked, she assessed me as a lawyer would to a criminal in court as I smiled tightly at her.

"Mr Agosta." She greeted, as I nodded, not waiting to see what she would say next as I entered the elevator.

Just as the doors were closing, I saw a hint of a smile form on her face before she shook her head, as if she knew everything that had transpired between Gianna and I. Bullshit...right? I mean, I hadn't seen Gianna interact with anyone else in the office apart from her boss and the ginger asshole. Though, they could be friends for all I knew. It seemed like that's what I was doing lately. Assuming things about her that I didn't know. But the truth was, I wanted to know her inside out - her heart, her mind and her soul. And once upon a time, I had been lucky enough to know those parts of her. But she had changed, of course. Which was why I felt this compelling urge to get to know her all over again. To make her fall in love with me all over again. To make her see that I was still the same Gio that she had loved. But that wasn't true now, was it? Gianna wasn't the only person who had changed - I had changed too. For better or for worse, I didn't know yet.

I made my way to Esme's office as I knocked once. Hearing a soft come in, I entered as my gaze strayed to my blonde lawyer who stood with her back turned to me. Immediately, I could tell that something wasn't right based on their tense forms and the slightly sympathetic smile that Esme sent my way. She cleared her throat as she gestured for me to take a seat in front of her as Gianna refused to make eye contact with me. Was this because of what had happened in the car? If so, I'd have to clear things up as soon as possible with her. We couldn't have this weird tension lingering between us - especially when it came to work.