018 | SKIPPING

[ 。゚☁︎。 ゚ ゚。 SKIPPING 。゚☁︎。 ゚ ゚。 ]

"COME ON HARRINGTON! GET UP!" Steve roughly pulls my curtains open, the room filling with a blinding light.

"i'm not going today" my voice is full of exhaustion. i cant face them or the cheer team, not after yesterday. i need the time to myself.

he doesn't say another word, leaving my room with the click of the door closing behind me. i let myself snuggle back into the covers that hug my body, trying to relax.

my mind is scattered, thoughts running all over the place. i officially hate high school. Hawkins High, fuck you.

i don't even want to go back. it will all be too painful and uncomfortable. the people who i thought were my friends are ruining everything for me, taking all my happiness in one big gulp.

i let out a loud, annoyed groan, flipping myself onto my side. my eyes land on the polaroid that sits on my bedside table.

the stupid kiss.

the kiss that is ruining everything.

that photo will always have my heart, something about it just screams happiness, but everything that has happened because of that one tiny photo?

Eddie got beat up while i was forced to watch and now, i am getting something taken away from me; Eddie, Cheer or Chrissy.

if that photo was never taken, none of this would be happening. Eddie wouldn't have been beat up and now, i wouldn't be losing.

a loud knock interrupts my internal monologue, my whole body jolting at the sudden sound. the knocking stops for a second.

maybe they went away?

the knocking continues repeatedly, my eyes rolling as i pull myself out of the comfort of my bed, walking down the stairs.

i pull the door open, being faced with Chrissy. my eyes widen, knowing im screwed. it's over from here on out.

"Caitlin Harrington, what is going on?" her voice is filled with confusion, staring directly into my eyes.

"nothing. i just don't feel good" i shrug it off, acting like it's all just no big deal. her hand reaches for my forehead, my eyebrows knotting together at her actions.

she squints her eyes at me, removing her hand from my face, "you don't have a temperature," she speaks, "so what is really going on?"

"nothing Chrissy, i just really don't feel good so i'm staying home" i repeat myself, trying to get my point across. it isn't easy lying to Chrissy, i tell her everything and anything.

she sighs, almost as if she's giving up on trying to figure out what's going on. maybe she believes me. maybe she just doesn't want to make anything worse.

"feel better okay? Eddie and i are worried about you" her words shove daggers into my heart.

i nod, giving her a small smile before she begins to walk back to wherever she came from.

•°°•
EDDIE'S P.O.V

my eyes wander to Chrissy, who is now walking back over to the van, Caitlin's front door now closed.

she pulls open the passenger door, sliding into the seat. a loud breath leaves her mouth and i can't help but wish it was Caitlin in that seat.

that's Caitlin's seat.

"anything?" i question at her sudden mood change, she almost seems more panicked now, different to the concern and worry that had flooded her face before.

"she says she isn't feeling good" she sighs, rubbing her hands over her face. we both know that's not true and i can tell she knows something is up.

i can too.

i turn the key, the van roaring to life before pulling away from the curve and to the direction of Hawkins High.

"what are we going to do now?" Chrissy is full of questions that i don't seem to know the answers to.

my eyes glance over to her, a small smile resting on my face as a way to try to reassure her, "we wait for her to come to us. maybe she will be at school tomorrow and we can talk to her"

"it's your turn next" she chuckles, getting out of the stopped van, "i'll see you around Munson, let me know if you find out anything" she gets out of the car, my whole body cringing at the name.

Munson.

Harrington is the only person who calls me that.

the only person allowed to call me that.

when she says it, it's like music. it sounds perfect coming from her mouth.

i let out a groan, laying back in my seat. i cant get her out of my mind. she's stuck there. the stress of not seeing her is becoming too much.

i just want her to look into my eyes and tell me everything that is scaring her. everything on her mind.

but she's not here, instead, she's sitting in her bed alone.

•°°•
CAITLIN'S P.O.V

i sigh, placing the record on the record player, letting the quiet sounds fill the room. my feet make their way over to my bed, falling back onto it.

today sucks, i can't help but feel alone, so so so alone. the only sound of another voice being the one coming from the record that plays.

Steve said he was going to leave work early to come home and watch movies with me, which i'm grateful for.

i don't think i've ever been more bored in my life. taking days off school is so boring although i feel so much better, not having the eyes of Eddie and Chrissy on me, trying to figure out what's burning in my mind.

the front door opens, the sound of Steve's voice filling the downstairs portion of the house. a small smile finds its way onto my face, stepping out of my room and down the stairs.

his eyes land on me, a kind smile on his face, "how are you feeling?" he asks, reaching for the movies he got from work.

i shrug my shoulders at his words, "Chrissy came over, asking me what was wrong" i speak, his eyes widening slightly.

"they do have every right to be worried" his voice is filled with care, setting up the first movie. i nod, agreeing.

i feel a little better, knowing that they do care about me. i just wish i didn't have to do this to them.

"sit your ass down!" Steve whines, annoyed that i haven't taken a seat on the couch that's begging us to sit.

i roll my eyes at his childish whining, sitting down on the couch, Steve sitting down next to me.

"better?" i joke, a cheeky smile forming on his face.

"much better"

word count: 1105

—————— AUTHOR'S NOTE ——————
INCREDIBLY SHORT CHAPTER IM SORRY
also trying something new in this chapter. will probably never do it again

————————— BROCKSWHORE —————————

6th July, 2022