027 | JUST A PRANK ?

[ 。゚☁︎。 ゚ ゚。  JUST A PRANK? 。゚☁︎。 ゚ ゚。 ]

THE MUFFLED SOUND OF the news rings in Eddie's trailer, making it clear that his uncle is home. I sit up from my position in Eddie's bed, looking over at the boy who is finding something to wear for school.

"Eddie, Caitlin" his uncle calls out frantically, both of us turning to look at each other before Eddie rushes out of the room, my feet following quickly after him.

we arrive in the living room of the trailer, his uncle gesturing to the tv in front of us.

'Hawkins High student Billy Hargrove, found deceased in his wrecked car at the border this morning, more to come soon'

my heart sinks to the floor, staring at the tv in shock.

"no" is all i can manage to say before i rush to their phone, dialling the Hargrove/Mayfield household.

it begins to ring, my eyes welling up with tears. yes, i've been hating him a lot these past few months but i would never ever want him to get hurt. ever.

"hello?" his stepmom speaks from the other end of the line, a small choked sob leaving my lips.

"is it true?" my eyes squeeze shut, listening to her let out painful sobs on the other end of the phone.

"i'm so sorry Caitlin" she cries before the line cuts out.

my eyes move to Eddie, who stands in the middle of the living room in shock, "sweetheart" his voice is soft.

"he's dead" his arms wrap tightly around me, letting me sob into his shirt. i don't stop crying, not being able to stop.

"let it out" Eddie holds me tighter than he ever has before, his own breathing heavy and shaky.

"Eddie" i sob and he shushes me, trying to reassure me somehow.

this is all just a shitty nightmare and i would like to wake up now. i need to wake up now.

"this is just a nightmare" i pull away from Eddie, nodding my head, "please wake me up now" i beg, his whole face dropping at my words.

he shakes his head, grabbing onto my hands, "sweetheart i'm sorry. i'm so fucking sorry"

-ˋˏ ˎˊ-

after almost an hour of sobbing, i officially cant cry anymore, feeling nothing but numb. Eddie and his uncle tried to convince me to take the day off but i can't.

i need to keep moving, i need to do something.

Eddie walks with me into the hallways of the normally loud building. however, it's filled with a heavy silence that pushes on everyone's chest.

it's heavy. incredibly heavy. not one smile on anyones faces.

"Caitlin" Chrissy sighs, pulling me into a tight hug, "i'm so fucking sorry" she speaks, her hand wrapping around my hair, holding me.

"i just can't believe he's gone." my voice is still shaky.

he's not gone.

this is all just a nightmare.

a big prank that someone is playing.

"there's an assembly this morning" she announces and i nod, already knowing that they will be addressing his death.