Chapter 39

My eyebrows creased as I loked down at Naerys who was shifting incesssantly in my arms, beads of sweat trailed down his forehead as he clung tightly to my dress. I frowned and shook him gently

"Naerys, naerys wake up". He groaned and turned again his eyes firmly closed.

Is he having a nightmare?

I got up and turned to him shaking him harder " Naerys... Naerys!"

His eyes snapped open as he reached out drawing a harsh breath. He turned to me his eyes wide with panic and fear and immediately buried himself in my neck, his arms wound tightly around me.

"It's all right " I whispered stroking his hair softly "I'm here Naerys, I'm here". I waited quietly for Naerys to calm down, his ragged breath slowly evening out.

Once he was sufficiently calm, Naerys slowly retracted himself from Amaryllis; he was relieved she was here beside him, safe and unharmed.

"Amaryllis" he said breathlessly clasping her hands with his, "please don't leave your palace tomorrow"

Before she could reapond, Naerys held onto her tighter letting his desperation leak into his voice

"please amar... what i just saw- I- I can't" his voice cracked as he struggled to continue.

"What's wrong Naerys? What do you mean?"

"I-I-you..."

Seeing that Naerys was becoming worked up again, Amaryllis pulled his face into her hands and stared into his eyes “Calm down Naerys….. what did you see?”. He exhaled shallowly before starting to speak:

“You were in a carriage with your sisters going somewhere when you were suddenly attacked.  Something happened – I don’t know- but somehow you were lured into the forest and surrounded. I tried to reach out for you, to help but I was in some sort of ghostly state so I couldn’t .”

Amaryllis frowned, her mother had already tightened security for the procession tomorrow and they were still anxious about the expected ambush and now Naerys had had this dream that seemed way too coincidental.

Well let’s calm him down first

“It’s okay Naerys... It was just an awful dream, I’m right here aren’t I? and I can’t possibly sit out the visit tomorrow, it will be one of my many duties when I eventually become the supreme queen and-“

“Then I’d like to come with you” He said quietly

“What? , Naerys I’m not sure that’s possible”

“Please Amar... I can’t fully describe it but I’m almost certain that that wasn’t just a dream. I stood there watching you fight for your life and I was unable to help you” Tears were shining in his eyes but he ignored them and instead stared into her eyes determinedly, lifting a hand to clutch at her wrist “I couldn’t bear it if something happened to you so please amar... take me with you”

Amaryllis was stumped, she truly didn’t know if her mother would approve of this but she couldn’t very well say that to Naerys in his current state. And so she ended up stroking his hair, quietly murmuring that she’d do her best. After a few minutes when Naerys’ breath had evened out and she had been able to detangle herself from him, Amaryllis made her way to the terrace.

The cool night breeze did wonders for her troubled mind as she ran over multiple scenarios for tomorrow:

We can’t take too many guards as that might be seen as an act of disrespect against the supreme queen.

That leaves us with a dozen at most, and a dozen for the other queens that are going with us,

If the demons plan to attack with their full army then.....