Chapter 19

My father noticed me first and rose hurriedly from the table " Amaryllis dear, I was so worried where were you?" He cried, flinging his arms around me. I smiled and hugged him back " father I'm sorry I was with Naerys and didn't notice the time pass by." He pulled back and looked at me in confusion " Prince Naerys? Of the mermaid kingdom? Why ever were you with him amaryllis?".

I was about to speak when my mother waved her hands " since you're here amaryllis, you might as well join us for dinner, have a seat" she pointed to the chair the servants had recently added to the table. It was next to hers on her right side. I slid into the chair and pouted " mother why wasn't I invited to the family dinner, did you perhaps forget about me?".

She tapped my nose and laughed " nonsense dear, you were nowhere to be found at the time so we just began". I smiled and slowly swept my gaze over the other people in the room. Mother's consorts sat on one side and her children on the other. Lillian had on a mask of politeness and happiness while Collette sported a look of cold indifference.

They both noticed my actions but neither responded. My gaze moved to the other two men at the table, mother's other consorts. One of the males possessed long fiery- red hair and jewel red eyes, he was Collette's father and he paid no mind to anyone else at the table. The other male beside him possessed golden brown hair and I couldn't even see his eyes seeing as he never lifted his head.

Hmmm, both men seem so.... Despondent. I turned to face my mother who was happily chatting away with and feeding my blushing father. I turned again to the other men and somewhat realized what was wrong. I'll have to talk to mother about this in private, but for now... I lightly banged a spoon against my glass of champagne

" Everyone I have an announcement to make". Mother and father immediately turned to face me while Lillian tilted her head curiously. " Mother I've formally annuled my engagement with prince Syrius while simultaneously making his brother, prince Naerys my first harem member."

I expected the silence that followed only my mother and father knew of the engagement so only they would be puzzled by this. " Amaryllis dear, I thought you liked syrius, why have suddenly rescinded your engagement?". I stole a look at Collette out of the corner of my eye before answering. Her fists were clenched but her expression had quickly recovered from whatever she had earlier felt.

" Oh mother, syrius is being chased by some other female and he prefers her to me". " Preposterous!" My mother roared hitting the table with enough force to shake all the cutlery, dishes and glasses currently on it.  " How dare he!, Perhaps he has forgotten my heavy reluctance in agreeing to this engagement, I'll have a word with his parents. But before that my dear, how are you? Are you feeling alright?'.

My father quickly grabbed my mother's hand " Cecile are you all right?" She smiled at him and gently stroked his hands " don't worry Lionel, I'm perfectly fine" I again turned to notice the expressions of the other males witnessing this sweet moment. I'm sure of it, that's most definitely the reason they look so gloomy.

" It's fine mother, I don't really like syrius anymore. I'm instead extremely satisfied with Naerys so you don't have to confront his parents and risk an inter species fall out. I have no problems with this." Still, mother seethed. I laughed a little at her anger and changed the topic " so mother when can we have his ceremony?"

" Whenever you wish dear but I'll need two months notice in advance to plan it all right?". I nodded.

" Then it's settled we'll have Naerys' ceremony in two months, Congratulations my dear".

Collette blankly stared at the people before her, her thoughts going into overdrive. Engagement?, Syrius and that trash were engaged?, When did this happen? Better yet why was I never informed about this?. Collette gritted her teeth in anger for a few seconds before promptly correcting her expression.