Chapter 22 *

Hey guys so sorry for the late update, WiFi finished four days ago and dad only paid for it today. I rushed to post this as soon as I could. Love you guyyyyssss.

*************

I waved the coachman and Alice to the stables while I stood in front of mother's palace. I stepped in quickly looking for her. I made it past the stairs and was about to head to her room when the soft chatter of voices caught my ears. Of course, the balcony seems to be her favourite place in the entire castle, why do I even bother to check somewhere else?. I chuckled to myself heading towards the gaggle of voices.

I stepped into the balcony and was surprised at the sight before me. Mother was having tea as usual, what surprised me were her companions. All of her consorts were present, including my father of course. I quickly walked to mother with a big smile on my face and placed a kiss on her cheek. She smiled at me " hello dear, what is it you need?". I pouted at her. " Mother are you saying I don't visit you unless I need something?."

My father laughed " Of course not dear." I gave him a quick kiss " how are you father?" He laughed jovially in response. I stepped back and looked around the table, sir Carmon and dagarth were both seated opposite my parents, sure they were at the table but there were at least two chairs in between them all.  Sir dagarth sat unmoving with a stony face  slowly sipping his tea  and ignoring my father  who was trying to make conversation, sir Carmon only nodded meekly and said nothing.

I sighed, thinking it would be easy to bring them all closer was a mistake.

" How has been your afternoon, dads?" " Fine" Collette's father responded in a clipped tone, sir Carmon looked at me and smiled " it's been well princess." I looked at his pale red eyes and stepped closer " dad, please call me amaryllis ", he looked down again " no princess you may not know this but I-" " don't finish that sentence, Carmon you're no longer a slave." My mother cut in sharply.

" I insist dad, please heed my request". He nodded but didn't say anything else. I sighed again.

" Since you're here amaryllis, why don't you join us?" Mother asked " no, thank you mother I  had some dumplings before coming home." "Dumplings? did you perhaps stop at a shop on your way home?, It would explain why you're late today." I chuckled " no mother, Naerys made some for me." " He did?, What a sweet boy,  reminds me Lionel's cookies." My mother smiled and clasped her hand over my father's.

I cleared my throat and looked between both men, mother seemed to understand and I quickly changed the topic " so mother, how have the preparations for Naerys' engagement ball been going?". She sent me a smile full of gratitude " well, amaryllis everything will be perfect for that night." " Ok then, I'll leave you to your tea." I was about to leave when mother stood up " I'll be back soon my dears" she said to her consorts before walking over to me.

I looked at her confused but she only smiled and walked out of the balcony, motioning me after her. I followed her, getting more confused by the second. We reached her room and mother checked to see if any servants were in the vicinity before  firmly slamming the door and turning to me, her expression serious.

My first thought was that there was a problem. Is mother facing an issue so serious, I have to be involved?. I shushed my wandering thoughts as mother walked quickly to a chest at the foot of her bed, she quickly threw it open and brought out an item. It was only when she turned around that I realized it was a book.

I looked at her, more confused than ever, " mother..?". She carefully handed the book over to me taking care to place it in my arms like it was a newborn male. Only when I looked at the title did I realize why mother was acting this way.