Chapter 18

It's been a week since I met Hank. Luke has been really distant since then. We don't talk that much anymore.

"Camden, would you like to answer the question ?", Mrs. Geriner asks.

I sit up and notice I've been lost in my own thoughts. Everyone in the class is staring at me and I can feel my cheeks heat up.

After Mrs. Geriner realizes I'm not going to answer she says , " I would suggest you pay attention."

How am I supposed to pay attention when I can't stop thinking about Luke ? I wish he would let me give him some money.

My family could definitely help him. My mom is a lawyer and my dad is a doctor.

I wish he wasn't so stubborn. The bell ringing interrupts my thoughts. I stand up and gather my things.

I head to history next. I get to class about ten minutes early, so I check my phone. There's a text from Luke.

Luke: Hey can we get lunch off campus? I need to talk to you.

Me: Sure. Where at?

Luke: McDonald's.

Me: K. See you there.

I wonder what he wants to talk about.

*************************

Me and Luke grab a table in the corner after we get our food. I grab my fries out of my bag and dip one of them into my hot fudge sundae.

I look up and notice Luke hasn't touched his food and is staring off into the distance.

"What's wrong?", I ask. Luke sighs. "Camden, I think it would be best if we don't date until I pay Hank off. I'm sorry.", he says. Then he stands up and leaves. But before he walks out of the door he turns around and says, " I love you, Camden."
I love you too I thought.

I'm shocked, hurt, and feel like I'm about to break down. I walk outside just in time to see Luke drive away.

I can't believe this. I leave. My appetite is gone now.

*************************
I didn't go back to school. I went home and cried. I've been laying in my bed ever since I got home.

I haven't eaten since I had those couple of fries and a few bites of my hot fudge sundae in McDonalds. Which is very unusual for me. I'm always eating.

I haven't talked to anyone either. If Luke loved me why did he break up with me? I miss him already.

*************************

Today is going awful. It's so hard to sit beside Luke and see him. It's hard to know that he's not mine and might not ever be again. It's hard to think that he can date any other girl he wants too.

I can't wait school is over so I can go sit in my room cry, listen to sad breakup songs, and eat tons of food.

*************************

I'm listening to "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye (feat. Kimbra) when I hear a soft knock on the door. Mostly everyone has been leaving me alone since the breakup so I wonder who it is. "Come in.", I say. Luke's mother walks through the door.

"I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I'm going to tell you anyway. Luke loves you. He really does. He really was just trying to look out for you. All he's done since you two broke up is mope around. So after Hanks gone you should give him another chance. ", she says. I just nod. She leaves and I sit there shocked.

Was Luke really just as sad as I was? Would I give him another chance? I really don't know. I guess I'll think about it later. Right now I just want to go to bed.

I slip into my favorite pair of pajamas and brush my teeth. I cut the lights out and climb into my bed. I close my eyes and try to go to sleep. There's one thing in my mind though. Will Luke and I ever get back together?