Chapter 13

I'm in science class. " Mrs. Willis, will you please send Camden to the office." a lady says over the intercom. "Sure, she's on the way.", Mrs. Willis says. I pack up my stuff and head to the office. I see my mom and we walk outside and get in her car. She turns on the car and pulls out of the parking lot. "Camden, there's something I need to tell you. Your father is in intensive care. When he was going to California for his business trip his plane crashed.", she tells me. " I have to go see."I say. She opens her mouth to say something, but I cut her off. " Mom, please." I plead. "Okay.",she says.
___________________
We got to the hospital about 15 minutes ago. When I first walked in the room I was shocked. I knew my dad would look bad, but I didn't think he would look this bad. He has cuts and bruises all over. There's a nasty gash on his forehead. I can tell several things are broken. Shortly after I arrived a doctor came in the room. " Hi, my name is Dr.Elmer. Mr. Blake is going to be fine, but he needs to stay here a couple more days to make sure everything is okay. You guys can stay here another 30-45 minutes, then you'll have to leave. Visiting hours will be over then." he says. Then he leaves.
___________________
Candice comes over to my house after school. She came by herself, since I left school early. As soon as she enters my room she starts talking. "Why did you leave early? I had to suffer through P.E. without you."she says. "My dad was in a plane crash and I went to visit him at the hospital.", I say. "Is he okay?", she asks worriedly. Our families are really close, so it's pretty much like her own father was the one in the plane crash. " He's going to be okay." , I answer. " Good." , she says." Yea. So what do you want to do?", I ask. " Let's go swimming.", she says. "What?", I screech. " It's the middle of December and it's 33 degrees outside." I tell her. " I mean in the hot tub.", She says in a "duh" tone. " Well, the hot tub isn't that big. So we couldn't actually swim.", I say. "Whatever." she says.
___________________
"I wish I had a hot tub.", Candace says. " They're pretty great, right.", I say. " Yea.", she replies. " Hey you wanna make hot chocolate?" I ask. " Sure.", she says.We get out of the hot tub and dry off. Then we head to the kitchen. David and Jackson are in the kitchen. "Do you guys want some hot chocolate? ", I ask them. "Definitely.", David says. " What kind?", Jackson asks. "Uhhh.... Chocolate. That's actually the only kind of hot chocolate.", I say. " Okay.", he says. " Your a strange kid.", I tell him shaking my head. After we fix hot chocolate and put marshmallows on top Candace and I head upstairs. We take the marshmallows with us. We sit on my bed and I turn on the tv. We drink our hot chocolate and eat marshmallows. "So are you kind of sad that you and Luke want get to spend Christmas together.", Candace asks. " What?", I ask. "You don't know?", She asks. "No.", I say. "Maybe I shouldn't tell you." she says. "Please?", I ask. "Fine. Luke's going to Louisiana to see some old family friends. One of those family friends is his ex. She's still crazy about him.", she says.
Why didn't he tell me? Is there something he doesn't want me to know?