Chapter One

Nick:

Mum and I pull up to our new house. I wish I could say I was excited but I don't think anyone would be excited about leaving your hometown the year you're graduating and saying goodbye to your friends that you have had your whole life. I'm trying to be positive since this move is because Mum got a new job that she's been working towards for years. She's done everything for me and is always there for me so the least I can do is be okay with this. One year and I'm off to Uni anyway. We unload the boxes we had in the car and by that time the movers pull up.

"Nicky, why don't you go explore around town? The movers will handle everything here," my mom says with a soft smile.

"You sure Mum? I don't mind helping," I say hoping she tells me to stay instead.

"Of course. Off you go. Call me if you need anything. Love you." 

"Love you too"

I start walking around aimlessly because I honestly have no idea where I'm going. I stumble onto a street with a bunch of stores. I slowly walk and look around at all the stores. I notice there's a milkshake cafe and decide to get one. I go inside and notice that it is pretty empty, but then again, who decides they want a milkshake at 10AM besides me? I walk up to the counter to see the worker at the register focused on a book placed in front of him. 

"Good morning," I say, trying to get his attention.

He looks up at me with a slight smile and I couldn't help but smile back. 

"Sorry! I didn't know anyone was here. No one usually comes in at this time," he says with a chuckle.

"Well, when your mom moves you to a new town and then sends you off on your own to look around, sometimes sugar is necessary," I say laughing back.

He gives me a look that implies that he is sympathetic to my cause. 

"Just moved here? I'm sorry, that must be rough; but it's not so bad here."

"Well, at least I know I can get milkshakes at weird times in the day," I say with a smirk. "I'm Nick."

"Charlie," he says. 

He immediately throws his hand onto his head. 

"I also should be asking you what kind of milkshake you want, huh?" He laughs.

"There's only one milkshake I ever get. Bubblegum!"

He gives me a weird look.

"Is that the only flavor you've ever had?"

I reciprocate the look that he has given me.

"Is there really any other option?"

He smiles at me again and I can't help but smile back.

"If you can put a little trust in me, I bet you I'll make you a milkshake that will make you wonder why you ever settled on bubblegum."

I laugh and agree to his statement and he begins making the milkshake.

Charlie:

I grab the chocolate ice cream and start to make the milkshake. Nick looks unsure but intrigued. He points to the book I was reading when he walked in.

"Are you studying for school? There's literally a week left of summer still," he says with a smile.

I laugh because I know how insane it must look.

"I just like to have an idea of what I'll be learning for the year, okay?"

He laughs at me again.

"Wow. That's ---"

 I cut him off. 

"Smart?"

"Sure, smart. I wasn't going to say insane or anything like that.."

I laugh again as I finish making his milkshake.

"Here. Try this and tell me if you'll ever go back to bubblegum."

He grabs a straw and takes a sip. By the look on his face, I know instantly that he's a fan.

"Umm, wow. This is actually really good."

"See? Trusting me goes a long way."

"Yes - I'll be sure to put my whole life in your hands simply because you have a superior choice in milkshake flavors!" He says, smiling

.I felt the blood rush to my cheeks and find myself laughing, yet again. I don't think I've ever had this much fun at work before. 

"So, are you still in school? Uni?" I say as I wait for him to take out the money for the milkshake.

"This will be my last year before I'm off to Uni," he says.

"Ah, a year older than me," I say.

He reaches over the counter to hand me the money but I take my hand on his and lightly push it away. For the brief second our hands touched, I swear, at least on my end, there were electric shocks throughout my entire body.

"This one's on the house. You're already having a pretty crappy summer I'm sure," I say. Still smiling, I wouldn't be surprised if my eyes were heart shaped like in those silly cartoons.

"Thanks Charlie, I appreciate it. I owe you one!"

"So I'll see you around then?" I say as he heads towards the door.

"I hope so. At least there will be one friendly face at school next week when I start."

School cannot start soon enough.