89

TRIPLE UPDATE!
read chapter 88 before this one.
(this probably won't make sense otherwise)

---

" it escapes from my hands into moonlight "

---

harry styles.

Wherever she went, I followed.

Always within an arm's reach. Just in case I'd dare to test reality, I'd brush his fingertips against her skin to ensure she was truly here and not lifeless in my arms once again.

But my star seemed so distant, maybe we both were from the grasp of reality. The shower poured over my head, like rain, drenching me until I could breathe again.

My stubborn girl, finally letting me help her for once. I scrubbed the blood from her skin, ever-so-gently, watching as it swirled down the drain. Careful of her novel wound, yet another scar to hold her hostage to the past, she merely hugged herself with her back to me.

I regarded the way her tired eyes shut as I washed her scalp, dragging my blunt nails through her raven hair silk under my touch. And finally, rinsed the two of us clean.

Drying her hair, I left her be for a bit to gather clothes. I changed, leaving my towel resting over my shoulder before she wandered out into my bedroom. She tucked herself into her fresh set of clothes, her injured arm getting stuck in the sleeve to which I carefully aided it through.

"Do you want to come with me to get the car? I was gonna go get Leo and his things on the way back," I murmur down to her. She begins rummaging through her things for the bags that once carried her belongings here in the first place.

"I can start packing while you're gone ... or do you want me to come?" She asks, head tilting a bit as she gazes up at me.

"Are you okay packing on your own?" I disguise my inability to be without her with a simple question, and she adamantly nods.

There she is.

I knew I wouldn't get away with it all.

I close out the space between us, "stubborn girl," mumbling under my breath as I layer a kiss on her scalp. "I'll come back," I assure her, to which she nods before brushing me off.

I head down the stairs, unable to warp my brain around the concept of ever leaving the only place I've been able to call home in the last few months. I grab my keys, lock the door as I leave, and head down to the ground floor. I trek off into the city, hailing a cab to take me to the repair shop.

And force a smile through it all, settling the deal on the original paint job from black to cherry red. Slick on the murky sunlight filtering through the storm clouds, the crimson stains the mustang that I've always owned — now carrying a piece of her with it.

With a handshake and a bid goodbye, I don't tell him where we're all going — just that we are. And I drive out, racing to Griff's place to Leo.

Parking beneath their building, I take the elevator up with shaking nerves rattling my system at just the thought of stepping back into the place without them.

The door slides open, allowing me entrance to apprehensively step in. And I'm met with the familiar sound of paws skittering across the wood. I instantly crouch down, embraced by the onyx puppy with its tail wagging at someone's return. I cup his face, smiling ever so slightly as I scratch his silky fur.

He begins frantically looking around, whining as he realizes — dogs always tend to just know.

"He's not coming back, buddy," I whisper, hugging him against me. I kiss his little head just as Ace does. His little whimpers spring tears I've withheld in my eyes.